PDA

View Full Version : world of warcraft+wine?

Rumbl3
March 19th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Well yeah i've seen a few threads etc. I'm just curious how well does the game run? Will it run decent on my machine (specs in my sig).

I used to play on windows had two accounts then i "got rid of them" vowed never to play again. But just seems to be a lack of games on linux i can find to keep me truely busy and had a friend offer me his sons account which don't play anymore. So i figured what the hell might as well go back to play cause even on windows it ends up being the same game i end up back to.

I just love linux to much tho to go back to windows lol.

So i'm just curious what to expect? 60fps with medium graphics? 10 fps? just wondering.

any links also to tweaking etc would be kool seeing that i'm still pretty new to linux.

Also i haven't done much secruity based stuff might be the wrong thread to ask this but since i'm always interested in keeping wow secure and my machine secure because jerks seem to love to steal wow accounts any programs i should run on my machine to keep my gaming more secure?

hikaricore
March 19th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Depends on your video hardware.
I get between 50-120fps on my Nvidia card.

Intel "video" chipsets will likely have issues but ati and nvidia do quite well.

Rumbl3
March 19th, 2009, 02:34 AM
i got a geforce 9600gt 512mb card

The-IRS
March 19th, 2009, 02:36 AM
(deleted)

Rumbl3
March 19th, 2009, 02:39 AM
I had thought about it but i see it as i'm already going to be forking out money for wow account again plus the account my buddy is hooking me up with is a burning crusade account so i gotta go pick up wrath tomorrow also (cause i want to be a death knight lol).

I started my first account being dps (lock/mage/sham). my second account i got into healing priest and started a druid healer alt.

This time around i'm want to try tanking. So i figured i'd go with a death knight tank this time.

hikaricore
March 19th, 2009, 02:39 AM
WoW should work perfectly fine on that card using WINE.

Be sure to disable and desktop effects if you're having trouble and be sure to have the latest Nvidia driver installed and that it is working before troubleshooting WoW.

Rumbl3
March 19th, 2009, 02:42 AM
kool, also i'm curious (very new to wine most i've done since i been on linux really is play linux native games). Everytime a wow patch is released etc do you have to wait say for a update to wine? to get playing wow again or now that it works does it stay working for the most part? unless they make some crazy change to the way the game works?

hikaricore
March 19th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Wow patches should work exactly the same as usual.
Some users experience issues with the Blizzard downloader including slow downloads though.
My personal suggestion is to just download the patch from the wowwiki patch mirror page and disable the background downloader all together.

You will not need to update WINE to update WoW.
Occasionally there may be a regression in the latest WINE build (this can be avoided by not updating WINE if you don't have reason to)
or a bug in WoW which users often find a workaround to and plaster over the internet, these bugs are not always limited to WoW through WINE.

Rumbl3
March 19th, 2009, 02:53 AM
alright, well thx for all the info lol can't wait tomorrow i get payed and back to warcrack i go! but, it sucks when all your real life friends play together on wow and here you are the lonewolf on random games trying to keep yourself entertained.

Guess time to get my teamspeak server up lol.

thx again!

amritmatharu
March 19th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Wow works perfectly on my VGN-FW11e, even with desktop effects enabled.

Rumbl3
March 20th, 2009, 02:29 AM
well i had soem dvds off my buddy from his battlechest but after reading all the directions i decided just to do the download. basicly taking me all day today lol but oh well downloading seems to be the easiest way to do this also.