PDA

View Full Version : Stick to Hardy for how long?

linuxisevolution
March 19th, 2009, 12:58 AM
How much longer should I stick with Hardy? I have intrepid on the family pc and it seems okay, but Hardy just runs so well on this system. No hiccups ever. Will updates from 3rd party vendors still be available for hardy after it's support ends? I don't know why I'm worried about this now, I guess I'm just anxious to see the features in Jaunty and intrepid :)

I have tried Intrepid in Virtualbox, quite nice :popcorn:

Mehall
March 19th, 2009, 01:08 AM
How much longer should I stick with Hardy? I have intrepid on the family pc and it seems okay, but Hardy just runs so well on this system. No hiccups ever. Will updates from 3rd party vendors still be available for hardy after it's support ends? I don't know why I'm worried about this now, I guess I'm just anxious to see the features in Jaunty and intrepid :)

Some people are still using the previous LTS edition.

granted, many of them are planning on moving to Hardy shortly I believe, but still.

dragos240
March 19th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Hardy had too many bugs for me, i use intrepid now, and jaunty seems far from promising (new gdm menu (eww), dumb splash bar, and probably more to come.)

linuxisevolution
March 19th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Some people are still using the previous LTS edition.

granted, many of them are planning on moving to Hardy shortly I believe, but still.

What release is that? 6.04? My god, seems so long ago, doesn't it :P

linuxisevolution
March 19th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Hardy had too many bugs for me, i use intrepid now, and jaunty seems far from promising (new gdm menu (eww), dumb splash bar, and probably more to come.)

I like the new gdm menu. It can always be changed you know, would you give that up for a 20 second boot time? ;)

dragos240
March 19th, 2009, 01:12 AM
franky, yes, i like the old style.

linuxisevolution
March 19th, 2009, 01:14 AM
franky, yes, i like the old style.

I never thought the default theme meant that much. You can't just change it? hehe..

Sealbhach
March 19th, 2009, 01:17 AM

I'm using Jaunty in Alpha right now. Pretty stable and if you want speed, ext4 is really fast - especially Nautilus has speeded up beyond recognition.

ugm6hr
March 19th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Will updates from 3rd party vendors still be available for hardy after it's support ends?

No, but that isn't until at least 2011.

I've stuck with Hardy on my Mini 9, and it still runs my laptop. However, I seem to have filled my laptops HD, so figure I might wait til Jaunty and use that when I sort all my file storage issues out.

linuxisevolution
March 19th, 2009, 01:21 AM
No, but that isn't until at least 2011.

I've stuck with Hardy on my Mini 9, and it still runs my laptop. However, I seem to have filled my laptops HD, so figure I might wait til Jaunty and use that when I sort all my file storage issues out.

I have like 6 partitions and I want to clean it up, so I might do a reinstall some day.. I have a 20gb, 9gb, 70gb, and 90gb partition. I just want to format the whole thing lol. Not to mention I can only write to the 90gb partition with root permission... Why is that?

interllect
March 19th, 2009, 01:23 AM

If it aint broke don't fix it...ext ext

linuxisevolution
March 19th, 2009, 01:26 AM
If it aint broke don't fix it...ext ext

I know, but will updates be available after support ends?

dragos240
March 19th, 2009, 01:27 AM
6 partitions?!?!? Primary and logical?

linuxisevolution
March 19th, 2009, 01:35 AM
6 partitions?!?!? Primary and logical?

Primary..

dragos240
March 19th, 2009, 01:43 AM
how did you get 6 primary partitions?? Thats unreal....

cardinals_fan
March 19th, 2009, 01:54 AM
However long you want. My last machine running Ubuntu ran Dapper 6.06 until last fall, when I switched it to NetBSD full-time.

kevin11951
March 19th, 2009, 01:55 AM
how did you get 6 primary partitions?? Thats unreal....

he is either using more that 1 hdd, or some other tweak, because 4 is the limit i believe.

TBOL3
March 19th, 2009, 02:51 AM
If I remember correctly, you could somehow split on partition into two. But then again, he said primary, so he may not be talking about that.

Anyway, I still have Hardy on my laptop. I look at all these great things, and drool, but I really need this to be a stable system, so I haven't spent a weekend to update it. On my desktop, I'm running Alpha 6 of jaunty, and loving it. Although, I don't like this new theme that ubuntu is getting.

linuxisevolution
March 19th, 2009, 03:09 AM
he is either using more that 1 hdd, or some other tweak, because 4 is the limit i believe.

Yes 4 is the limit. I have 6 partitions on my main drive and two on the other.

Main drive, 250gb: 1 windows partition, 3 Ubuntu, one swap. The 6th was by accident and is only a few hundered mbs.

Second drive 80gb: 1 ext3 Partition, and one swap.

I forget the tweak that was used. :P

I just know I used cfdisk...

linuxisevolution
March 19th, 2009, 03:12 AM
If I remember correctly, you could somehow split on partition into two. But then again, he said primary, so he may not be talking about that.

Anyway, I still have Hardy on my laptop. I look at all these great things, and drool, but I really need this to be a stable system, so I haven't spent a weekend to update it. On my desktop, I'm running Alpha 6 of jaunty, and loving it. Although, I don't like this new theme that ubuntu is getting.

The reason MS Windows is always blue is because in psychology blue is a trustful color, and can trick or mislead the mind. Blue and green is also pleasing. Why doesn't Ubuntu have a theme like this also installed alongside the current for other options... sorry for getting off topic.:P