PDA

View Full Version : Good News for iPhone Users

Giant Speck
March 19th, 2009, 12:10 AM
http://computershopper.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/shoptalk/software/apple-announces-iphone-3.0-software-update/211580-1-eng-US/apple-announces-iphone-3.0-software-update_large.jpg

On March 17, Apple presented the blueprint for iPhone OS 3.0, the next version of the world’s most advanced mobile platform. In addition to previewing its innovative features, Apple gave members of the iPhone Developer Program immediate access to the iPhone OS 3.0 software beta and an updated Software Development Kit (SDK) with over 1,000 completely new APIs.

According to the Apple website, they are working on an iPhone OS upgrade, which will be free for iPhone users and will cost only $9.95 for iPod Touch users. They boast a whopping 100 new features and an SDK that includes over 1000 new APIs.

Here are some of the new features that will be included in the upgrade:

1. Cut, Copy, and Paste Support

Not only will iPhone users be able to cut, copy, and paste text, but they will also be able to do the same to pictures. The upgrade will allow you to cut, copy, and paste in any application installed on the phone, and will also give you the ability to undo pastes.
2. In-App Purchasing

In-App purchasing will allow developers to charge a fee from within their application for such things as additional levels in games, subscriptions, full versions, eBooks, and more.
3. MMS

Apple will finally answer to one of the most common complaints about the iPhone with their upgrade, allowing iPhone 3G users to send voice memos and pictures via MMS. Unfortunately, due to differences in cell radios, this feature will only be available to 3G users.
4. P2P Connectivity

This feature will allow developers to program their applications to find other iPhone users over WiFi or Bluetooth. This could be useful for such things as multiplayer gaming and sharing files and data.
5. Turn-by-Turn Directions

Applications will be allowed the ability to get GPS coordinates from Core Location and turn that data into software that can provide turn-by-turn directions for iPhone users. The downside is that, because of the terms of use with Google maps, developers will be required to license their own maps, meaning that GPS apps will probably be ones you have to pay for.
6. Landscape Keyboard

All iPhone applications will allow users to type messages in landscape rather than portrait orientation.
7. Voice Memos

iPhone users will be able to record audio and even send that audio via e-mail or MMS.
8. Spotlight Searching

Spotlight searching will be built into the home screen and will allow users to search for anything on the phone such as mail, music and notes.

As a happy iPhone user myself, I personally cannot wait for this upgrade and I am also happy that the upgrade will be free. There is no exact date or timeline set for the release of the upgrade; however, it has been said that we can expect it by this summer.

Dr. C
March 19th, 2009, 02:04 AM
... and lots of DRM, Apple censorship of what software can be run on the device, and the horrid Rogers customer service in Canada. No thanks.

pwnst*r
March 19th, 2009, 02:58 AM
... and lots of DRM, Apple censorship of what software can be run on the device, and the horrid Rogers customer service in Canada. No thanks.

jailbreak ftw. ATT is fine here.

Dr. C
March 19th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Isn't Jailbraking iPhones illegal in the United States?

pwnst*r
March 19th, 2009, 03:38 AM
illegal? lol, no.

Mr. Picklesworth
March 19th, 2009, 03:57 AM
I still don't get this "over 1,000 APIs" thing that keeps getting quoted from their announcement. Is that even possible? Is that meant to be a feature that an index of their APIs would be bigger than a dictionary?
And I wonder how much redundant, overlapping functionality they would have, were that the case... and given that they've only really shown us 8 or so major APIs here, what percentage of useless junk they are releasing for developers to sift through.

Then again, I doubt they would be that oaf-like. I think they're exaggerating just a tiny little bit.
That, or they moved to GNOME and didn't tell anyone :P

hanzomon4
March 19th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I can't wait for this... but still the Pre looks like it's going to kick the iphone's(I own an iphone) ***

pwnst*r
March 19th, 2009, 11:00 AM
we'v all heard that before.

.Maleficus.
March 19th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Thank you for making my day Giant Speck.

Now all I need is a computer running OS X so I can use the SDK...