PDA

View Full Version : Another "recommend me a laptop" thread

Pogeymanz
March 19th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I'm in the market for a new laptop in the next few months. The key here is that it will be in a few months, so I know new models will be available and sales will come and go, etc.

Here are the things that are important to me, roughly in order:

1. Linux compatible. This is not an option- I use Linux for work and pleasure.

2. Reliable. I've heard ThinkPads are very reliable, is this still the case? I want this baby to last for at least 5 years. (Graduate school)

3. Price. Under $800 please. And even that's a real stretch for my wallet. But I bought a Compaq laptop for $500 and it was a piece of garbage and barely survived past the 1-year warranty.

4. Wont be outdated too quickly. This means at least C2D level processor.

5. Nice size screen and keyboard. This thing doesn't have to fit in my pocket, it merely has to be transferable from one desk to another.

6. No Windows. I really hate that Microsoft will get a sale when I'm going to wipe it off without even booting it.

That's it. This will be my main/only computer for 10 weeks in the summer and then it will be used for programming work while on campus and I'll take it on weekend trips occasionally.

Unfortunately, I'm a poor college student so I have to be as efficient as possible. This means no System76. Believe me: If I were in better financial standing I would buy their products in a heartbeat.

mips
March 19th, 2009, 01:13 AM
#2, 3 & 4 are a contradiction in terms if you ask me.

Pogeymanz
March 19th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Haven't you ever done optimization? The trick is how to get the most of #2 and #4 for the price. I realize that I'm not going to get the best processor or the most memory or the biggest hard drive.

I just want to know if I should be looking at HP's or Dell's or Lenovo's, etc.