PDA

View Full Version : Jaunty got a new (official)usplash theme :)

artir
March 18th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Pic made by the owner of sharms.org :
http://pix.toile-libre.org/upload/original/1237386187.png
The package is http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/usplash-theme-ubuntu .
It's better to see it on action. I think is a bit better than the old one.
Try it and tell what you think.

EDIT: New pic posted

Video available here: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzE1MQ

kaixi
March 18th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I like the old one more.

gnomeuser
March 18th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I like the old one more.

Likewise, this just looks kinda primitive. While I was no big fan of the old progress bar on account of the tiles, the overall look was nice and subtle.

Hells_Dark
March 18th, 2009, 07:29 PM
http://pix.toile-libre.org/?img=1237386187.png !

billgoldberg
March 18th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I got the same reaction as when I saw the new gdm theme:

Yikes!

FuturePilot
March 18th, 2009, 07:44 PM
http://pix.toile-libre.org/?img=1237386187.png !

I think this picture does more justice for the theme than the one in the OP. I could get used to it, the gradient is pretty neat.

Naiki Muliaina
March 18th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Arr much prefer the current one :(

Botbob89
March 18th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Hmm I guess it could grow on me....

SpriteSODA
March 18th, 2009, 07:50 PM
looks fedora-ish

dragos240
March 18th, 2009, 07:51 PM
darn! they're downgrading ubuntu now?

sambita
March 18th, 2009, 07:52 PM
i think this picture does more justice for the theme than the one in the op. I could get used to it, the gradient is pretty neat.

+1

Therion
March 18th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I think this picture does more justice for the theme than the one in the OP. I could get used to it, the gradient is pretty neat.
Agreed. The OP's pic really doesn't do it a proper justice (no offense to the OP).

Plus, when you see properly animated, with the gradient and in conjunction with the new GDM, it all kinda starts to come together.

Flimm
Actually, I posted the original screenshot ;)
However, Hells_Dark's screenshot is better, as it shows the progress bar actually displaying progress:
http://pix.toile-libre.org/upload/img/1237386187.png

Maybe the OP could add this screeshot to the first shot?

blueshiftoverwatch
I prefer the text only startup. For some reason it makes bootup process not seem as long. Probably because it occupies me with reading through the text rather than just staring at a boring progress bar.

Does Fedora still do the thing where it has a graphical progress bar but you can click on a show/hide button to see the text mode below it? It would be neat if Ubuntu did something like that.

mcduck
March 18th, 2009, 08:02 PM
That looks quite nice. I wouldn't mind a bit thicker loading bar but apart from that I like the theme. And the gradient is definitely better than the cells in the current default theme.

And there's even enough space to enable the boot texts as well which is great since I've never been able to choose between graphical or text boot and therefore use graphical boot with boot texts instead. ;)

kevin11951
March 18th, 2009, 08:09 PM
What are the chances that any of this (new gdm, usplash, themes, etc...) will actually be in the formal release?

Dragonbite
March 18th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I thought they were going to use Plymouth for the usplash.

I never got it working on my Fedora installation, just see the 3-colored bar along the bottom, but I heard that Ubuntu was going to incorporate it with a future version.

Maybe 9.10?

Flimm
March 18th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Link to video:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzE1MQ

Plymouth is planned for Koala.

LowSky
March 18th, 2009, 08:22 PM
What are the chances that any of this (new gdm, usplash, themes, etc...) will actually be in the formal release?

new themes are in Jaunty, just noticed them yesterday

GDM is there too, nice black and red screen
http://www.cesarius.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/jauntyloginscreenn-large_002.jpg

What would be nice is splash screen with just the circle logo slowly getting filled with color... that would tasty... been using Windows 7 lately and there new slpash is quite nice.. would be great if we had some good graphics people working on this stuff

JackieChan
March 18th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Likewise, this just looks kinda primitive. While I was no big fan of the old progress bar on account of the tiles, the overall look was nice and subtle.
It looks too small.

BigSilly
March 18th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I must be alone in preferring the look of the new USplash then! I like the Knight Rider/Cylon visor look to it. :biggrin: Not so keen on the new GDM though.

madana
March 18th, 2009, 09:25 PM
that so ugly - i like the old one

gnomeuser
March 18th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I have rebooted my system a few times to enjoy this and I think I changed my mind, it's quite nice.

Kareeser
March 18th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I like it... it's got a nice minimalist look to it, so it's saying "just go an' do somethin' else for 25 seconds while I boot up, I'll let you know when I'm done"... instead of "WARNING! I'M LOADING!!! *ALARM*"

kevin11951
March 18th, 2009, 10:10 PM
new themes are in Jaunty, just noticed them yesterday

GDM is there too, nice black and red screen
http://www.cesarius.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/jauntyloginscreenn-large_002.jpg

What would be nice is splash screen with just the circle logo slowly getting filled with color... that would tasty... been using Windows 7 lately and there new slpash is quite nice.. would be great if we had some good graphics people working on this stuff

i know, but will they be in the official release in april?

Sealbhach
March 18th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I like this new one, looks sharper and more modern and professional. Also like the way the colour of the bar changes.

keiichidono
March 18th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Forget Usplash, I like to see scrolling text when I boot. I hope they still have the option not to have a usplash in Jaunty.

binbash
March 18th, 2009, 10:39 PM
It looks better than the current default one

Nevon
March 18th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I think that's absolute crap. The old one was pretty neat, but this just looks... Dated, primitive and just plain ugly. :(

mcduck
March 18th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Forget Usplash, I like to see scrolling text when I boot. I hope they still have the option not to have a usplash in Jaunty.

Sure you know you can have both at the same time?

Just remove "quiet" from kernel boot options but leave "splash" enabled and you'll get a graphical bootup with scrolling text messages. ;)

pelle.k
March 18th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Does Fedora still do the thing where it has a graphical progress bar but you can click on a show/hide button to see the text mode below it? It would be neat if Ubuntu did something like that.

You guys, you can have the usplash theme WITH text output. What you do is remove the "quiet" but keep the "splash" as grub/kernel arguments.
Looks really good, like it used to do in dapper/edgy.

Another thing to look forward to, since i also hate it when you dont get to see if some daemon did fail, during init, is the new GDM (gdm >2.24) which shows a notification if some service failed to initialize. At least in fedora it does.

MIH1406
March 18th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I like this one

NE Key
March 18th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I prefer the text only startup. For some reason it makes bootup process not seem as long. Probably because it occupies me with reading through the text rather than just staring at a boring progress bar.

Might I suggest that if you enjoy reading the bootup process text; much modern literature has passed you by?

Ozor Mox
March 18th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I like this new one, a kind of minimalist look. It goes well with the new GDM theme, which I also like.

chris4585
March 18th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I'd just like to say, I like the older one better for now, I haven't seen it in action, and.. why do we need a loading bar? why can't we have a small animation or just like... a glowing pulsing ubuntu symbol or something...

mcduck
March 18th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I'd just like to say, I like the older one better for now, I haven't seen it in action, and.. why do we need a loading bar? why can't we have a small animation or just like... a glowing pulsing ubuntu symbol or something...

Because the progress bar gives people the feeling that something is actually going on and that the boot process is indeed working and not just frozen. Also progressing indicators make the boot time feel shorter than it would feel if there was just some looping animation.

edit: Just like somebody here already mentioned that text boot feels quicker. There's a lot more going on the screen with all the "OK"-messages which gives even stronger feeling of quickly progressing bootup.

Anyway what purpose would a looping animation serve? That wouldn't give any information how's the boot going, or if it's not working at all.. That kind f animations are OK for very quick loading times (like cursor when starting a small program) but not for things that require longer waiting, like system boot.

chris4585
March 18th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Because the progressbargives people the feeling that somehting is actually going on and that the boot process is indeed working and not just frozen. Also progressing indicators make the boot time feel shorter than it would feel if there was just some looping animation.

It would be cool if there was a choice between something what I said and the default.

civillian
March 18th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I still think that the usplash theme should have a progress bar as well as scrolling text...if thats possible at all, lol.

If you don't like it you could just get the old one from somewhere surely though? They have loads of other themes on gnome-look.org and similar websites if you hate the new one though. some are pretty cool (like the hand scan one)

mcduck
March 19th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I still think that the usplash theme should have a progress bar as well as scrolling text...if thats possible at all, lol.

It has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread that it's possible. Just remove the "quiet" from your boot options and leave "splash" there and you get bootsplash with both animated graphics and scrolling text.

phaed
March 19th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Could this mean there will be a new theme to the desktop?

Sealbhach
March 19th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Could this mean there will be a new theme to the desktop?

I think they might try something different with the wallpaper, but all the big changes will be saved for Koala. I'd imagine they have their hands full with the data loss problem in the ext4 filesystem:

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/134483

phaed
March 19th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Good thing they are not implementing it by default in this release. I just upgraded to Jaunty. Glad I didn't reformat my hard drive. BTW, I like the new usplash and GDM. It's smooth.

Also this is pretty cool: when you change the background, it "crossfades" from one to the other.

chris4585
March 19th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Good thing they are not implementing it by default in this release. I just upgraded to Jaunty. Glad I didn't reformat my hard drive. BTW, I like the new usplash and GDM. It's smooth.

Also this is pretty cool: when you change the background, it "crossfades" from one to the other.

The corssfade has been in fedora for a while, or at least a release around to 8.10 afaik