PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] No desktop upon boot

solracarevir
March 18th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Hi, I have just booted a fresh install of Kubuntu 9.04 alpha6 and once kubuntu boots (After logging in successfully) I only get a black screen, I can move my cursor, i get therun prompt if I press alt + f2 and can run apps like konsole, k3b, notification dialogs works, even Dolphin WM works, still I got no panel.

I did some research and folowed some advice like erasing the .kde folder & disabling compositing with
kwriteconfig --group Compositing --key Enabled --file kwinrc falseAnd still got no panel, any Idea???? I really want to give KDE another try cause I havent tried it since the initial KDE4 release, but with so many issues maybe i should stick with xfce.

MST3Kakalina
March 18th, 2009, 04:04 AM
I'm having the same problem. I had managed to install kde4 fine in the past but hated it; now that it seems kubuntu is more or less abandoning 3.5 I'd like to actually switch, but now I can't.

I tried from apt and also following the instructions here: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-kde-41-on-ubuntu-810-intrepid-ibex.html

solracarevir
March 18th, 2009, 05:34 AM
The funny fact is that I have three Laptops here @ home and I´m having the same issue on all of them

HP Compaq nc6220
HP zv 5000 series
Dell Inspiron 1501

iamkrazee
March 18th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Try restarting KDM from tty1
sudo service kdm restart

MST3Kakalina
March 18th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I don't know if this is the best or easiest hack, but this is what I did.

I purged KDE from my system entirely, kde3 AND kde4. I just tooled around in Gnome and used Synaptic Package Manager to make sure every last bit of kde stuff was cleaned up, since apt-get purge $kde_related_package didn't do the trick entirely. Then I installed kubuntu-kde4-desktop with apt-get; there are some minor broken dependencies (with okular, for one) but if you apt-get install them individually they work fine.

I'm now posting from 4.1 without any real software problems, just a couple cosmetic ones.

solracarevir
March 18th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Try restarting KDM from tty1
sudo service kdm restart

No luck restarting KDE from tty1, now Im uninstalling the whole KDE desktop and installing it again

D3ath
March 18th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Has anyone tried kicking it?

solracarevir
March 18th, 2009, 06:11 PM
No luck yet, maybe I should wait for the Final Release.

Zorael
March 18th, 2009, 06:59 PM
What's happening is probably Plasma crashing. I've seen a few threads covering this with suggestions that may or may not work.

http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=56884064