PDA

View Full Version : FIFA 09 and WINE

BigSilly
March 17th, 2009, 07:58 PM
That was a complete mistake Hikaricore. I could've sworn I posted this in the WINE forum! Obviously not. :biggrin: Nevertheless, here it is again, this time in the right place:

Just wanted to know what your experiences here have been with this title. I installed the demo with WINE earlier, and it's really bloody good. So much so, that I thought I'd order the full game.

Can I expect a good experience with this game and WINE? What works well and what doesn't? The WINE site is down at the moment, but I'd still rather hear your thoughts anyway. Thanks all.

BigSilly
March 19th, 2009, 05:12 PM
My game hasn't turned up yet, so I have a couple of questions still that hopefully someone can help me with.

I'm noticing that the frame rate isn't so hot in the demo. Seems to lag a bit in the middle of the park. Close ups, cut scenes and action shots etc are very smooth, but in game in the middle of the field the game seems to struggle. I have a pretty good graphics card etc (see below). Is this in the full game too? Also, do official patches work OK, or should I not bother with them when playing in WINE?

Thanks all. :)

null.byte
March 19th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Check this:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=8271

hikaricore
March 19th, 2009, 05:23 PM
It has a garbage rating as of January 2009.
You're probably SOL for awhile.

BigSilly
March 19th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Check this:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=8271

Thanks. I have seen that since, but was hoping for some of your experiences here too.

It has a garbage rating as of January 2009.
You're probably SOL for awhile.

Doesn't seem to have a garbage rating. :confused: None that I can see anyway. Pop me a link up to that if you can Hikaricore. What's SOL?

EDIT: Found it. (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=14077&iTestingId=35628) Looks like problems with ATI, so hopefully I won't get that with my Nvidia card...

BigSilly
March 21st, 2009, 07:44 PM
Game turned up yesterday and I installed it straight away, so I've had a day + on the game. Bit disappointed to find the performance no different to the demo. There are still a couple of niggles with the frame rate here and there, but overall though the game is pretty stunning. Both patches installed just fine (you need both) but seemingly had little or no impact on the overall performance of the game. From the sounds of things, it's more of a FIFA and EA thing rather than a Linux and WINE issue. Many Windows users with similar specs to me have complained of chugging frame rates every so often.

Overall though it works well with WINE. Had to apply the controller fix, that some Linux users have wrongly attributed to WINE on their forums. That too is an EA bug that needs a little user intervention to fix. As a game it's well worth the tenner or so I paid, and if you're an Nvidia/WINE gamer looking for a footie game, you should be okay with this.

Pity PES doesn't work with WINE, but FIFA will do nicely!