View Full Version : Ubuntu 9.04's New Themes

DownTown22
March 17th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Came across this today:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-9-04-039-s-New-Themes-106961.shtml

What do people think about the themes?

suitedaces
March 17th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Really nice for a default, but I suspect most people will install their own.

MellonCollie
March 17th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I'm not a fan of dark themes.

aaaantoine
March 17th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Ooh, they added Dust to the mix.

*Approves.*

pluviosity
March 17th, 2009, 05:30 PM
All three are rather nice, though Dust Sand looks like it has OS X in mind. I could see myself possibly using these when on Gnome but without the icons since there are better ones out there IMO.

aeiah
March 17th, 2009, 05:31 PM
i do like dust, and i made a variation on it for my crunchbang install that sits on my acer aspire one. however, due to poking around i noticed just how many pixmaps and hacks the thing has to be compatible and usable with a wide veriety of applications.. hopefully its less hackish and more streamlined. it seemed awfully inneficient when i last looked at dust.

SpriteSODA
March 17th, 2009, 05:32 PM
heh, New Wave is the theme i'm using :D

mips
March 17th, 2009, 05:35 PM

Better than it was but not my thing. Themes can be easily changed though.

mcduck
March 17th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Definitely a lot better themes to include by default than the old Crux etc. were. Also saves me some time since I'd install both Dust and New Wave anyway (I've already been using both for quite a while now).

At least New Wave also has full set of themes for other purposes as well, like bootsplash, GDM and lock screen dialogs, so it allows creating a consistent theme for your system. That's something that is missing from most themes..

Therion
March 17th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I'm not a fan of dark themes.
I wasn't a big fan either until I saw the New Wave theme. That started me thinking, and with a little tweaking is looking pretty good...
(see previous post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1098108&page=2) I think.

SunnyRabbiera
March 17th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I dont like any of them, all seem to be just more boring clearlooks themes.
Plus all are too dark for me, dust is too friggin dark!

Naiki Muliaina
March 17th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I quite like clearlooks with the right background.

Either way, good to see Ubuntu getting a face lift of any form. :)

kevin11951
March 17th, 2009, 05:54 PM
they did this with the last release, when the rc, or beta is released the human theme will be the only thing in that list (plus the defaults) dont you worry.

SunnyRabbiera
March 17th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I quite like clearlooks with the right background.

Either way, good to see Ubuntu getting a face lift of any form. :)

I feel clearlooks to be the engine most distros use when they cant think of something more original.
Clearlooks is fine for Debian, but Ubuntu promises a morde modern look and feel and clearlooks is a regression.

Paqman
March 17th, 2009, 06:06 PM
The new default login page is much nicer too. All up Jaunty is looking quite good.

kaixi
March 17th, 2009, 06:36 PM
New Wave and Dust are lovely themes, but Dust Sand looks horrible (c'mon guys, do you really have to imitate Apple?)

kef_kf
March 17th, 2009, 06:48 PM
imitation or not, dust sand is pure win

ELD
March 17th, 2009, 06:53 PM
New Wave looks awesome i love it.

DownTown22
March 17th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Better than it was but not my thing. Themes can be easily changed though.

It's true that themes can be easily changed, but I think we've all seen on these forms how many people complain about the default/included themes, so including some darker, more modern looking themes I think is a step in the right direction.

And hey, if we want to convert 'the masses' I think it's a good idea to be including themes like these. Let's be honest, most people (at least that I know) don't ever bother to download new themes for whatever OS they're using - or even change it to others that may be included. So, again, including more themes, especially like these, is a step in the right direction.

Therion
March 17th, 2009, 07:07 PM
The new default login page is much nicer too. All up Jaunty is looking quite good.
Agreed. The new default-GDM really is smashing.

After my brush with Intrepid (*barfs*) I'm pleasantly shocked at how Jaunty is rocking my world.

Something about x.04 releases...

motang
March 17th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Me like the additions, IMO 9.04 is shapping up well! Can't wait for the final relase. :D

joey-elijah
March 17th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I must be ahead of the times as i blogged about these new themes being in Jaunty about 3 weeks ago and only NOW is it news?

mips
March 17th, 2009, 07:40 PM
It's true that themes can be easily changed, but I think we've all seen on these forms how many people complain about the default/included themes, so including some darker, more modern looking themes I think is a step in the right direction.

And hey, if we want to convert 'the masses' I think it's a good idea to be including themes like these. Let's be honest, most people (at least that I know) don't ever bother to download new themes for whatever OS they're using - or even change it to others that may be included. So, again, including more themes, especially like these, is a step in the right direction.

I know, I agree, but I'm trying to be diplomatic before I'm called an Ubuntu hater ;)

kavon89
March 17th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I think they're all excellent and I'll probably be using Dust Sand.

Great job Ubuntu Artists Team!

Therion
March 17th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I know, I agree, but I'm trying to be diplomatic before I'm called an Ubuntu hater ;)
BIG, HONKIN' UBUNTU HATER!!!

/Lets just get it out of the way now, shall we?

DownTown22
March 17th, 2009, 08:06 PM

Haha....Fair enough!

D3ath
March 17th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I'm a fan most def. I think the dark themes with light backgrounds look best. For the icons i don't know why but i think the default icon set is just fine. I hate getting a icon theme and one or two are off it makes me upset. that's why i use the default unless someone has a really good icon theme.

motang
March 17th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I'm a fan most def. I think the dark themes with light backgrounds look best. For the icons i don't know why but i think the default icon set is just fine. I hate getting a icon theme and one or two are off it makes me upset. that's why i use the default unless someone has a really good icon theme.
I feel the same way with icons as well.

Sand & Mercury
March 17th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I imagine the Dust and New Wave authors are popping the champagne about now. They totally earned it.

D3ath
March 17th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I imagine the Dust and New Wave authors are popping the champagne about now. They totally earned it.

Agree.

jimi_hendrix
March 17th, 2009, 09:17 PM
i might keep it...just if possible hack it to change the arrows to silver or green

jespdj
March 17th, 2009, 10:02 PM
They look OK, but I don't like dark themes! I'll tweak the colors myself.

MikeTheC
March 17th, 2009, 11:45 PM
i do like dust, and i made a variation on it for my crunchbang install that sits on my acer aspire one. however, due to poking around i noticed just how many pixmaps and hacks the thing has to be compatible and usable with a wide veriety of applications.. hopefully its less hackish and more streamlined. it seemed awfully inneficient when i last looked at dust.

At least we've gotten Dust out of alien hands and back where it belongs -- among the Linux for Humans.

TBOL3
March 18th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Meh, I liked the orange and brown themes better.

DownTown22
March 18th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Hey, how 'bout we merge the two?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1098844

Mods?

Bakon Jarser
March 18th, 2009, 02:43 AM
They look OK, but I don't like dark themes! I'll tweak the colors myself.

I hear a lot of people bash dark themes but if you are staring at the screen for eight hours a day it is a lot easier on the eyes. The first thing I do when I install linux is change the theme to overglossed. Dust does look quite nice but leaves too much gray in firefox for me. I'm glad they are including some nice themes, gives the lazy people some choices.:)