View Full Version : [ubuntu] I have the Ubuntu 8.10 CD but How do I install it in 8.04

March 17th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I recently got my 8.10 CD but I don't know how to upgrade from 8.04. Every time I try to start the upgrade from Update manager it wants to download it again which i can't do because my download limit is to small (2 GB). I checked the software sources and the disk is in the third party sources. My computer is a Toshiba Portege M400 running a dual boot between Windows XP Professional SP3 and Ubuntu 8.04.2.

March 17th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Why don't you just boot to the CD and install it from the CD ?

Make sure you know what you are doing before you attempt this ? Hope you have a separate /home partition and hope you do a GOOD backup before you attempt this. A warning to the wise is sufficient !!!

March 17th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Doesn't that screw up all the applications I've installed and things like that.

March 17th, 2009, 11:13 AM

Yes. Why not just upgrade rather than do a fresh install? Go to System > Administration > Software Sources > Updates, and change the Release upgrade from Long term support releases only, to normal releases. Then run Update Manager, and you'll see the option to upgrade to 8.10.

I don't quite understand your concern about a download limit for an upgrade. If you're talking about downloading a new ISO, sure, but not an upgrade. Sorry, if my suggestion won't work for you. A new install might be your only option.

March 17th, 2009, 11:21 AM
When you click on the update thing in Update manager it starts downloading all the packages again (841 MB).