PDA

View Full Version : If you create a distro, what would you name it?

oobuntoo
March 17th, 2009, 09:23 AM
If you look at the names of some of the distros on distrowatch.com, you would probably get a WTF-reaction. Some of these names really lack imagination; Greenie, Wolvix, ClarkConnect, BlankOn, Berry, CrunchBang, Comfusion, PooBrown. OK, I made up the last one. The point is, why can't people come up with better names that give high-tech ring to them. Names that make you want to use them or at least give them a look.

So, what would you call your distro?

Eisenwinter
March 17th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Oh, and I suppose "Ubuntu" is a very high-tech sounding name?

Heh...

As far as the question goes, I'd only be able to answer that, if I had created a distro.

jespdj
March 17th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I would name it:

OhNoNotAnotherLinuxDistroThereAreAlreadyTooManyDis tros-Ux

Scubdup
March 17th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I'd try to call it something descriptive, about the aim of the distro. So something like GlobalDominationMwahahaha or GloDoMa or GDM for short.

k2t0f12d
March 17th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I wouldn't make a user-facing distribution.
I'd work on a meta-distro, something better suited as a base for others to make into their own GNU+Linux de jour (like the relationship between Debian->Ubuntu).

I've written a minimal GNU+Linux build system, and have a first run bootable build on a virtual machine.
Its a fully free software build as defined by the FSF, guided by the K.I.S.S. ideas of Archlinux.
Four basic design goals I'm going by (for now);

only FSF defined free software
system v init (I might be masochistic, but I like flexible things)
local source storage pool (optional for we network gouged Kiwi's)
software builds and packages managed by bash script only

I call it GNU+Linux from Source Code, aka GLFSC

s.fox
March 17th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Linux 2009.1 Alpha XP Professional Edition :lolflag:

k2t0f12d
March 17th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Linux 2009.1 Alpha XP Professional Edition :lolflag:

Careful, Linus might like that idea and change over from traditional software versioning to the "year vintage" idea. I do believe the kernel is considered way out of alpha, though. Hasn't Linux XP already been done by some joker somewhere before?

Yownanymous
March 17th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Yes, they tried to market Linux XP... And there's a Fedora based distro formerly called Vixta (now Simplis). I would call mine Rockbuntu, for progressive and psychedelic rockers everywhere! :D

chucky chuckaluck
March 17th, 2009, 11:19 AM
my favorite letter is 'P', so i'd name it POS.

Greg
March 17th, 2009, 11:30 AM
my favorite letter is 'p', so i'd name it pos.

+1

s.fox
March 17th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Careful, Linus might like that idea and change over from traditional software versioning to the "year vintage" idea. I do believe the kernel is considered way out of alpha, though. Hasn't Linux XP already been done by some joker somewhere before?

I like the idea of year vintage.

oobuntoo
March 17th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Oh, and I suppose "Ubuntu" is a very high-tech sounding name?

Heh...

As far as the question goes, I'd only be able to answer that, if I had created a distro.

I agree that "Ubuntu" doesn't sound high-tech. I actual never like the name either. However, when it was first announced, we knew it was backed by a multimillion-dollar company, so, many had already decided to try it out before it even existed. A distro started by Joe-hacker, on the other hand, needed all the help it could get for exposure. So why named it something that will keep people away? I sure as hell will not try CrashBang Linux.

Rotaj
March 17th, 2009, 12:09 PM
... And the names Windows and (Mac)intosh sound high tech?

jimi_hendrix
March 17th, 2009, 12:23 PM
voodoo child os

jimi_hendrix
March 17th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I sure as hell will not try CrashBang Linux.

so your judging a book by its cover?

its just a lightweight ubuntu based distro that uses fluxbox i believe

lukjad007
March 17th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I think I would call mine The Double-Oh Sevens. ;)

SunnyRabbiera
March 17th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I am thinking of names such as:
Evenflow Linux
NALD (Not another Linux distribution) if I develop a distro based on BSD
Kooler (KDE based obviously)
aGnostic (Gnome based)
KatX (as I like cats)

jimi_hendrix
March 17th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I am thinking of names such as:
Evenflow Linux

logo is a butterfly

"comes to him like butterflies...oh he dont knowwwww so he chases them away"

SunnyRabbiera
March 17th, 2009, 01:24 PM
logo is a butterfly

"comes to him like butterflies...oh he dont knowwwww so he chases them away"

No microsoft has the butterfly sadly...

Mehall
March 17th, 2009, 01:39 PM
so your judging a book by its cover?

its just a lightweight ubuntu based distro that uses fluxbox i believe

Openbox, actually. And it's "crunchbang"

it's named as such, because the primary dev, corenominal, named his blog that, and he named the linux after it, and if you read the (entirely false, imo) disclaimer, it says it might make your computer go Crash! Bang!

I've had fantastic time with Crunchbang, though I admit the minimalist setup given at first isn't for everyone, but run Nitrogen, change your wallpaper, and it's just as colourful as anything else.

s.fox
March 17th, 2009, 01:40 PM
How about a tropical bird?

oobuntoo
March 17th, 2009, 02:11 PM
How about a tropical bird?

I'm not sure about naming a distro after a bird. Seems there are too many OS named after animals already. Using bird as a logo, I can kind of see that. A distro name Peace Linux with a dove as logo maybe.

I personally prefer names that associate with something smart or capable of intelligence, like parts of human brain. So mine would be CoreTX (from cerebral cortex) Linux. If you're a KDE fan, then KoreTX Linux :biggrin:

jimi_hendrix
March 17th, 2009, 02:21 PM
No microsoft has the butterfly sadly...

"so he chases them awaay"

kelvin spratt
March 17th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I and many others have already created our own distro its called Arch Linux.

aaaantoine
March 17th, 2009, 04:30 PM
OP wants a name that sounds high-tech.

Hitec Linux

There.

Simian Man
March 17th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I and many others have already created our own distro its called Arch Linux.

Installing != Creating, even for a doit-yourselfer like Arch.

Mehall
March 17th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Installing != Creating, even for a doit-yourselfer like Arch.

Not even for Gentoo, IMO

Name change
March 17th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I was thinking to propose a creation of lightweight KDE distro.
Yes it is possible :D.
But I had no idea how to name it.
I'm not really good with names :D

Names that I decided not to use:
LiKhtweight :D
ArKh if it would be based on Arch
Bare Naked the same as my lightweight plasma theme.
---

Wait a minute is Knoppix a KDE distro?

tarps87
March 17th, 2009, 04:59 PM
voodoo child os

+1 Depending on the login sound ;)

SunnyRabbiera
March 17th, 2009, 05:28 PM
"so he chases them awaay"

Hehe indeed he does (that is a good song)

albandy
March 17th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I'll call it Nerd O.S.

RATM_Owns
March 17th, 2009, 10:02 PM
AsbestOS.

(Is going to be sad at anyone who doesn't get it)

afm93
March 17th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Dream OS. (I kinda imagined how it would be. I dunno if this is possible though. I would implement the idea of artificial intelligence into the OS itself, to remembers users actions, patterns, and ect... to create a better experience for the user.)

ezsit
March 17th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Here are some ideas:

Ménage ā Tux - my personal favorite
JudoBalls
Dirty Linux
Hypex
Harpo Linux
Spanky Linux
BSL (Bull Sh*t Linux)

.:Justus:.
March 17th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I would trick people into thinking its an abbreviation for something really techy and cool or something, but in reality it would be something childish stupid and silly.

ILPCx

I like pancakes X

X for extreme, cause pancakes are extreme.

Bodsda
March 17th, 2009, 10:41 PM
If you count Linux from Scratch as 'creating' my own distro, then mine 'is':

Name = Swift Linux
Slogan = From freedom and elegance came speed

Hence swift, It aims to be a good looking distro in my eyes, i dont care what anyone else thinks is good looking as this is my distro :) so it is (will be) a minimal build with fluxbox, and with only one of each type of app, so im not going to have 30 text editors, you just get vim. All administration apps will (eventually) be of my own design.

I dont plan on releasing it unless i think its good enough (basically this means not this year)

yabbadabbadont
March 17th, 2009, 10:57 PM
GOML Linux

(Get Off My Lawn)

Maybe GOOML would be better?

Bölvađur
March 17th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I'd call mine Joe

short simple and it's an actual name. Everyparent's dream name for a child or a distro.

dragos240
March 17th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Project LimeLight

S0m3th1ngw13rd
March 17th, 2009, 11:33 PM
If I made a distro it would be called

GEEKLinux

SunnyRabbiera
March 17th, 2009, 11:56 PM
AsbestOS.

(Is going to be sad at anyone who doesn't get it)

So its the OS that puts out fires but gives you cancer after prolonged exposure?

billgoldberg
March 17th, 2009, 11:59 PM
If you look at the names of some of the distros on distrowatch.com, you would probably get a WTF-reaction. Some of these names really lack imagination; Greenie, Wolvix, ClarkConnect, BlankOn, Berry, CrunchBang, Comfusion, PooBrown. OK, I made up the last one. The point is, why can't people come up with better names that give high-tech ring to them. Names that make you want to use them or at least give them a look.

So, what would you call your distro?

Seriously, if I ever make my own distro I would call it:

Totally Epic Linux Awesomeness aka TELA.

The logo would be two drunk guys with big smiles high-fiving each other in mid-air.

JackieChan
March 18th, 2009, 04:34 AM
I would probably name a distro after something from Eastern mythology. Perhaps Yamauba?

cmay
March 18th, 2009, 04:58 AM
i would call it YUR linux.
the meaning of the 3 letters is that it sounds like the word "your " and people could go hours trying to guess what it is short for.

Vorian Grey
March 18th, 2009, 04:59 AM
I'm surprised someone hasn't already come out with Linus Linux.

swoll1980
March 18th, 2009, 05:13 AM
The logo would be two drunk guys with big smiles high-fiving each other in mid-air.

Sign me up!

pdoma
March 18th, 2009, 05:15 AM
I say name it after a penguin... I think there's enough different breads out there :)

swoll1980
March 18th, 2009, 05:16 AM
people could go hours trying to guess what it is short for.

Yogurt's under rated

MikeTheC
March 18th, 2009, 05:46 AM
That'd be simple... MikeLinux.

schauerlich
March 18th, 2009, 07:51 AM
GOML Linux

(Get Off My Lawn)

p_quarles, you accidentally posted on your other account again.

yabbadabbadont
March 18th, 2009, 08:38 AM
p_quarles, you accidentally posted on your other account again.

Shhhhh. He doesn't know that he has this personality... In fact, he doesn't know about any of the others either.

:twisted:

Edit: (Besides, I joined two years before he did, so I guess he would have to be one of my personalities... :shock: Uh oh.)

cmay
March 19th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Yogurt's under rated
yes it is. :)

p_quarles
March 20th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Shhhhh. He doesn't know that he has this personality... In fact, he doesn't know about any of the others either.

:twisted:

Edit: (Besides, I joined two years before he did, so I guess he would have to be one of my personalities... :shock: Uh oh.)
Wait, what?

OMG!

DeadSuperHero
March 20th, 2009, 05:05 AM
If I were to create ANY system, whether it be a distro, or its own OS, I always liked the name Xoo. Yes, I know it's a package name, but I think it's perfectly okay to do, since my system would be an acronym of sorts.

(eXtend the Operating Organsim).

It would be more of a rally than just a system itself, as all art, code, concepts, libraries, drivers, hardware, bootloaders, BIOS, and software would be Free Software. And with the progress that HURD/Viengoos is coming along at, I'd try and use that as my kernel. A real microkernel with true memory management seems like more than just an operating system. It becomes a living, growing thing in itself. Complex pieces of this kernel come to function as if they were seperate organs working together.

In my mind, that would be beautiful.

And if anything, it'd be an awesome project to be involved in if it were to make success.

EDIT: Falling short of that, I'd just replace all the artwork in Ubuntu and put pro-Marijuana themes in it. I'd then call it "Cannabix"

MasterNetra
March 20th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Some possiblities;

Nexcore 2100

Nexcore (Could keep its name and simply update its parts and add features when considered stable enough.)

Nexcore - Alpha Version

NexGenLinux

LinGen

Linux Extreme

Tuxcore

TuxOS

TuxExpress