View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ram upgrade

March 17th, 2009, 01:11 AM
I have a Dell precision 380 at home. It originally only came with 512 Mb of Ram, then I upgraded to 1 GB, then one stick went corrupt and now I have 700 odd Mb. I would like to know how much ram my computer can take and how much it can take without overheating.

thanks in advance

BTW, I have 4 RAm slots

March 17th, 2009, 01:18 AM
gonna have to google the mother board for the right type of ram, or go to a free scan site that sells ram, it can scan the machine and tell you all the specs. dell typically has a id number on the machine, such as f4nt871. it can be used to perfectly id everything in the machine on the dell site.

700 seems like a weird size, however there are some boards that can run odd sizes just fine. are u sure the sticks are pooched? many times the stick is just not seated properly.

March 17th, 2009, 01:30 AM
pooched? is that when the stick is all the way in?

yes, it was, and then it kept making the computer freeze. We only found out that it was a RAm problem after we rescued all of the files onto and FTP server.

where do I find this id number?

March 17th, 2009, 01:40 AM
also, can I upgrade my Vram too?
I would like to have a bit more than 64 Mb of Vram. Do I have to buy a whole new video card for this?

March 17th, 2009, 11:14 PM
pooched means broken/not working.

best to get a new vid card as a card that has 64m on board is prolly too old anyway. again google for cards that are compatible with the main board. or check the dell site. dell has specs and service manuals for all their machines listed on their site.

my dell has the id number on the back right beside the model number, if u do not have a id number then gonna have to put model number in on the dell site to see what it is.

March 18th, 2009, 02:33 AM
found my Comp on the dell search.

Do you know how hot a computer usually gets when adding 4GB of RAM?
It originally had 512 Mb but can be upgraded to 8Gb (4 slots)