PDA

View Full Version : Do you buy or build?

mstlyevil
December 29th, 2005, 07:03 PM
I am starting a poll to see how many people on this thread buy prebuilt computers or build your own. The purpose is to determine how many Ubuntu users are paying the Microsoft tax and also to see how many are tech savvy when it come to their hardware.

My first computer was a Toshiba Sattelite lappy I bought in Nov of 2001. Since then I have built two computers and am going to build my next one tomorrow. I dual boot Windows so I do buy OEM copies to run on my PC's. The system I am putting together is as follows.

CPU- Athlon 64 3200
MB- DFI Infinity NForce 4 SLI
GC- Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce 6600GT PCIE
MEM Patriot PC3200 CL2 Timings 2-3-2-5 2x512 (1024MB)
HD- WD WD2500JS 250 GB SATA II 8MB buffer
OPD- Aopen 16x DVD+-R/RW

Mr_J_
December 29th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Built my first, and this is my second.
For other people I've built theirs on request.
So far I've built 3 pcs for other people, but then again... I am a computer technician.

My current one is my sig.

CompiledMonkey
December 29th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Build build build.

xequence
December 29th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Ive never done ether.

mstlyevil
December 29th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Somehow the poll is seperate from the thread. Oh well maybee a moderator could fix it.

tlc
December 29th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Built 'em all, apart from my first PC - a 486SX many years ago. Then went to a Pentium 200, a 1GHz T-Bird, XP2600, now an Opteron 144, with countless hardware noodling along the way. Built about 50 PC's all told, including those for other people.

Currently got my Opty running at 2.8GHz @ stock volts on air, a 7800GT @ GTX 3d clocks, and about 600GB of Seagate 'cuda's wrapped up in an Antec Sonata II. With various other bits (mobo obviously - DFI NF4, 1GB PC3200, DVDRW, NIC etc.)

xequence
December 29th, 2005, 07:26 PM
But looking at the poll, the closest thing for me would be "I build my own but bought a copy of Windows for it. (Both OEM and retail)" as I plan to buy my own parts and build it. Ill install windows on it, but not a bought copy.

raublekick
December 29th, 2005, 07:27 PM
I've built both of mine. My laptop (assuming I ever get one) won't be built though.

-Rick-
December 29th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Build. By my brother ;)
Prebuild comps cost so much more money...

xequence
December 29th, 2005, 07:30 PM
I've built both of mine. My laptop (assuming I ever get one) won't be built though.

Is it even possible to build a laptop? Id think it would be way to hard anyway :P

chimera
December 29th, 2005, 07:30 PM
The first one (Pentium 1, 200mhz) I bought because I had no knowledge in computers back then, but all the others I built.

sapo
December 29th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Build build build.
build..

omg another avatar thief >.<

eMuNiX
December 29th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Is it even possible to build a laptop? Id think it would be way to hard anyway :P
There are some barebones laptops available, simply add CPU and RAM but that's about as far as most go. My wifes laptop has been rebuilt a few times by me, new mobo, LCD and other parts so you could say that I have built it and from the experience gained I could build a Compaq Armada 7400 and probably my sons Tosh without too much grief, but it wouldn't be cheap. I have built all three of the PCs in my house in addition to that and built up and upgraded countless others over the years. Personally I prefer the sense of acheivement in building a machine over unpacking one from a box and simply plugging it in.

mstlyevil
December 29th, 2005, 08:21 PM
The thing that attracts me most to building my own systems is the total control I have over it. I get to determine what hardware and software is going on it without being forced to endure a bunch of crapware you get on the pre-built boxes today. I read a review on a DELL XPS high end gaming machine and it scored what a sempron system would just because it was so loaded up with crapware from the factory. I could only imagine how many processes were running in the background when that puppy was first fired up.

Norberg
December 29th, 2005, 08:33 PM
I Build my desktop computer, but not my laptop

Malphas
December 29th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Build.

alinuxfan
December 29th, 2005, 08:49 PM
bought my first computer at a computer expo and it was built and tested in front of me, since then i have built, and keep upgrading. ATM, i am searching for parts to upgrade this one....ebay, tigerdirect, newegg, kahlon, all great tools, making notes and finding the best prices possible

bugaman
December 29th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Thrift stores, which is half-buy/half-build, if you get my drift. Though this one a friend gave me as it would not run the latest Cubase. Since I use Audacity, no problem...

AllenGG
December 30th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Holy cpu Batman !! there are actually people that still buy pre-built systems.
I mean, people on this illustrious forum.
Come on , get serious, who would expect users at this level to buy "pre-built" ??
Further, why would anyone use "win-ders" unless they're techs' having to deal with working clients ?
Actually I find the question a little offensive, but, maybe I'm terribly naive, it's so easy to build a superior system and so time consuming to deal with junque. see: Dell, Gateway, IBM (Captiva), and "E-Machines", with an apparent failure rate of 20%. PLS don't take this personally Mostly orMisty Evil, meant in fun.
but build your own, it's not "RACKET" science. (see above for explanation of "racket")
Allen
ps: flames must be accompanied by beer.:D

darth_vector
December 30th, 2005, 12:36 AM
i always build; for me, for work, for my friends, for random people on the street...

i go around the block on council pick up day and salvage hardware from the garbage tip.

im a student and im poor; i must make every dollar count. this is not always easy when you want a $400 graphics card ;)

jc87
December 30th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Buy :(

But i want to build the next one (in a few years).

mstlyevil
December 30th, 2005, 12:51 AM
Holy cpu Batman !! there are actually people that still buy pre-built systems.
I mean, people on this illustrious forum.
Come on , get serious, who would expect users at this level to buy "pre-built" ??
Further, why would anyone use "win-ders" unless they're techs' having to deal with working clients ?
Actually I find the question a little offensive, but, maybe I'm terribly naive, it's so easy to build a superior system and so time consuming to deal with junque. see: Dell, Gateway, IBM (Captiva), and "E-Machines", with an apparent failure rate of 20%. PLS don't take this personally Mostly orMisty Evil, meant in fun.
but build your own, it's not "RACKET" science. (see above for explanation of "racket")
Allen
ps: flames must be accompanied by beer.:D

I know it must seem strange on this forum but there are still a hefty number of people who buy their systems from (choke) Dell, Gateway, IBM amd E-Machines. (choke) I have been building mine since my second PC . I took your comments in fun and yes it is mostly evil btw.

Ps: start pouring beer down me to quench the flames. It is getting hot in here.

erikpiper
December 30th, 2005, 12:54 AM
Build. I am posting from a desktop I built for under $800 (If you dont count the $200 soundcard....)

AMD 64 3000+
512 MB of RAM, Will be upgraded to 1024 for <$50
Nvidea 6600 256 Mb
120 GB total for HD's
Nice gaming case.
Nice fast DVD-rom/CD-rw

Total cost $900 if using a good but cheap soundcard and NO previous parts.. Why spend $2000 from dell for the same system?

John.Michael.Kane
December 30th, 2005, 12:55 AM
I plan on building a laptop using one the many barebone bases out there one day. the machine im on now is a prebuilt rig.

gRiMgRaVy014
December 30th, 2005, 01:05 AM
The one I'm on now is bought but I plan on building one soon, once I get enough money.

WildTangent
December 30th, 2005, 01:43 AM
build..

omg another avatar thief >.<
ROTFL!!!

Anyway, as for the question: My parents bought our first 2 computers, but I've built all of mine from either new or salvaged parts.

My gaming rig is worth about $2000 canadian. Of which, I've only spent about $800. Killer discount + Christmas gift from my parents accounts for the rest of it.

Athlon 64 3000 (s939)
MSI RS480M2-IL motherboard
2GB Kingston DDR-400 RAM
Leadtek Geforce 7800GTX 256MB
2x Western Digital 160GB HDDs
LG 52x CD-RW
LG 16x DVD+/-RW
Soundblaster Live 24-bit

By the way, Sapo, you stole my avatar. That's my story and I'm sticking to it ;)

-Wild

majikstreet
December 30th, 2005, 01:54 AM
I've only bought from Dell... sorry...

WildTangent
December 30th, 2005, 01:58 AM
I've only bought from Dell... sorry...
Dell's weren't always bad...it's only been in the last couple years that they've become really evil. I still wouldn't object to getting a Dell laptop or server, they're really cheap. I'd format it, or get it with no OS if possible though.

-Wild

ninotob
December 30th, 2005, 01:59 AM
I'm a builder too -- but I'm tired of it. The problem is that cheap stuff usually is cheap stuff, and to get a decent system at a decent price, I have to build it.

And when I say "cheap stuff" in the cheap systems, I'm thinking mostly about the case and powersupply. Mostly the case.

A good case makes it easy to replace things that need replacing, or add things when you need them. There are a few places I don't skimp on when building a machine -- the case, monitor, keyboard, mouse. The last three are your interface -- extra money for quality is well spent here (and keep your eyes open for those IBM Model-M keyboards -- they rock the house!). A good case is worth the money because it can be re-used and just makes everything easier. I hate crappy cases. I'm perseverating on cases, but cases mostly suck -- you really have to look around. For inexpensive but convenient, I like Antec. But I'm still waiting for an objectively elegant PC case.

fuscia
December 30th, 2005, 02:26 AM
buy. some little geek is going to do me better ****ing up than i would ever do on my own. good thing it's just a hobby.

Iandefor
December 30th, 2005, 02:30 AM
I've had 3 computers so far, and all three were prebuilt. The next one I'm getting is going to be built by me (And paid for almost enitrely by me; my dad is going to own half the motherboard and the optical drive lol, but aside from that, it'll belong to me, a first).

futz
December 30th, 2005, 04:27 AM
100% hand built. It's a hobby. I have too many computers and I build em all, and have done for years. I also build custom boxes for other people. Everything here is for sale at all times, so older boxes are constantly being sold off and new ones being built and rebuilt.

A friend of mine has too much money and likes to surf the bleeding edge, or close to it. I often buy his used parts when he upgrades. That way I get reasonably priced parts that are just behind the leading edge - a good place to be. Fast, but not stupidly expensive.

alinuxfan
December 30th, 2005, 04:43 AM
nice, now where do I find friends like that..:razz:

futz
December 30th, 2005, 04:58 AM
nice, now where do I find friends like that..:razz:
Ya, that's the problem all right. I lucked out. :mrgreen:

The guy is crazy (in a good way). I buy a 1GB OCZ dual channel USB stick. A day later he buys a 2GB. Same thing happens with anything I buy. He can't stand to have anyone have faster/better stuff than him. It's hilarious!

mstlyevil
December 30th, 2005, 05:01 AM
Ya, that's the problem all right. I lucked out. :mrgreen:

The guy is crazy (in a good way). I buy a 1GB OCZ dual channel USB stick. A day later he buys a 2GB. Same thing happens with anything I buy. He can't stand to have anyone have faster/better stuff than him. It's hilarious!

I have an Uncle like that. When I told him I was upgrading to a Athlon64 3200 he went out and bought a Athlon64 4000. I just don't understand why someone thinks that they have to have the fastest computer in town when all they do is surf the web and play outdated games.

drfalkor
December 30th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Build:p

dannyngweekiat_85
December 30th, 2005, 08:38 AM
well .. start from the second pc i have been building myself...
my 5th pc now... will continue it later... this is really a hobby... :D

M3ta7h3ad
December 30th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Dell's weren't always bad...it's only been in the last couple years that they've become really evil. I still wouldn't object to getting a Dell laptop or server, they're really cheap. I'd format it, or get it with no OS if possible though.

-Wild

Actually dells were notoriously terrible. Computers with rewired power supplies that blew up when you bought a replacement one from the shelf instead of buying the dell proprietary one. Proprietry hardware and drivers (still around to a certain extent although not as bad, they dont stop working if you choose to use the normal drivers instead of the dell ones now.)

Dells nowerdays are good, but a few years ago they did royally suck ass :)

I build. Thing is the current computer has gone from a 1800+, 256mb ram, 80gb hd, asrock k7s8x, onboard sound, and a TI4800SE to a 2500+ mobile, 1.5gb ram, 400 GB storage, Audigy 2 zs, 9800 Pro, ABIT NF7-S V2... is that a new computer? or just an upgrade? thats the question im wondering.

Why do I build? My first build (the 1800+) cost me 200 including a monitor using second hand parts picked up from forums and message boards. the second stage to it added about another 200 with a new tft monitor, and pretty much new everything else. if I was to buy a similarly specced computer on the high street at the time I built it I would be paying in excess of 800 and I still would only have 1gb of ram as opposed to 1.5gb and little other differences on top of that.

For superior cheapness... I entered a competition once, with 25 I had to buy the parts and build a complete computer system. I spent 25 dead on and ended up with a AMD 650mhz beast with 512mb ram, GForce II GTS graphics, a 15inch CRT , a 11.5gb hard drive, and of course the motherboard and case and powersupply to run it all. Sound was onboard, and it had network cabling which solved the requirement of "it must have internet access".

This was about year ago my parents currently use it as their pc, it works great and cost me 25 in total... if you can buy a similar specced pc for 25 pre-built then fair enough, but it clearly shows the benefits of being able to put it together yourself.

Cool dude
December 30th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Build. But prices are dropping, most bits last quite well so the argument that cheap parts are used in pre-built computers is not a to much of a problem these days. That is unless you need or want a quick machine. So you never know.

Cd:cool:

jsmidt
December 31st, 2005, 03:29 AM
I have only bought. However in the future I plan on trying to patient to get good deals, then building.

Revert
December 31st, 2005, 03:48 AM
Excepting the ones we were given, our first family computer was bought (mom didn't trust me building it). I've built two myself since then and worked on a number of others.

opensourcerocks
December 31st, 2005, 04:23 AM
I would like to build my own computer for the experence. I recently ordered a cicero from future shop because it sounded like quite the deal and I don't think that I could match the price to a system built with my hands. Plus my main computer just died.

ninotob
January 2nd, 2006, 07:46 AM
This is what I want for my next computer. I think the case looks pretty decent, it's linux ready, no MS tax, and a middle of the road system is about half the cost of a PowerPC:

http://www.sun.com/desktop/workstation/ultra20/index.jsp#

Click on the gallery in the upper-right quadrant for pics. I love the honeycomb grill.