PDA

View Full Version : Kernel Changes???

penguain
December 29th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Has anyone done any changes there linux kernel if so what are they and what do they change for you?

Penguain

Mr_J_
December 29th, 2005, 06:31 PM
I don't know if what i did is what you mean, but i recompiled the kernel removing loads of things i know for a fact i don't have. I believe most where Modules, but i'm still a newbie so i didn't really fully understand exactly what i did.

I think I turned off all the specific things i'm sure not to have in my computer, Like ISA boards or all the wi-fi cards i don't have, or all the things i know not to have or even recognize.
Also changed from 386 to K7 seing as i have an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice.
Don't notice much of a diference. Maybe a little faster in working, but it was WAY faster at compiling.

Still like to have done them. Kept changing window managers which makes it harder to quantify the changes, but i think it's a little faster. :D

LinuxSwede
December 29th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Has anyone done any changes there linux kernel if so what are they and what do they change for you?

Penguain

I have built my own kernel for the past 10 years, i remove everything i don't need, patch some things and optimize it for desktop/server/workstation or whatever i need for it to do.

It's a good experience to go through the different options and if the explanations aren't enough then google is your friend, i recommend that to every new Linux user.

It's the core of your system, know it and control it.