PDA

View Full Version : News and others

ultimate_aektzis
March 16th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Hi,

I would like to express my idea for that forum.I participate to many forums and I see that all of them have a basic difference from ubuntuforums.They have a "front page" where news relative to the forums object are displayed.Is it possible, to make something like this here?

P.S:I am sorry in advance, if something like this already exists and I haven't seen it yet.

bapoumba
March 16th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Not quite sure to understand what you are talking about. Could you please give a link for an example?
The front page: http://ubuntuforums.org links to the different forums categories and the latest post in each category, if you have unread threads in each category etc.

jpeddicord
March 16th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I've seen a couple of forums with something like this, but I can't name any off of the top of my head. They typically have a regular forum listing like our front page is now, but also have an alternative front page that looks a lot more like a CMS, listing recent news, latest posts, and common links for users.

Because I couldn't find any, I doodled one from what I remember:

A front page like this could make the overall forum feel a lot better, but they need a lot of design and usability testing to make sure that everything that should be accessible is accessible, including the classic forum list that is in place now.

ubuntu-geek
March 17th, 2009, 12:59 AM
We've tried this in the past and it didn't really fit into the site that well.

ultimate_aektzis
March 17th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Ok, I can give you an example.Its a greek site but I think you will understand what I mean.If you want any help on greek language, do not hesitate to ask me:D

www.adslgr.com

Elfy
March 17th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I'd be inclined to think that
We've tried this in the past and it didn't really fit into the site that well. from u-g is likely to mean that they don't think they'll be trying it again in the near future.

I wouldn't want to be putting words in others mouths though.

bapoumba
March 17th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Ok, I can give you an example.Its a greek site but I think you will understand what I mean.If you want any help on greek language, do not hesitate to ask me:D

www.adslgr.com
Well, they have more things than just a forum, they have blogs and news and other stuff. What you are talking about can be found on http://www.ubuntu.com/ for ex. I m not sure what kind of improvement it would be.

I'd be inclined to think that from u-g is likely to mean that they don't think they'll be trying it again in the near future.

I wouldn't want to be putting words in others mouths though.
This is also the way I understand it.

matthew
March 17th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Those sorts of pages, usually called a "portal," are good for sites with multiple purposes. For a site like ours that only runs a forum, it just adds a layer and an extra click before users get to what they come here for. It would be a frustration for most users, and useful or enjoyable for only a few.

Sorry, this isn't going to happen.

ultimate_aektzis
March 18th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Ok, thanks for the information:D