PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu

newbie_ub
March 16th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Hi All

At the startup of the Desktop CD, there is Install Ubuntu Option, the second one, so if i press that one, will i get option to choose where i want to install ?
I mean the manual installation process ?

I have Win XP too, i don't want to overwrite it.

I am not able to boot into live CD as i get a black screen after some time as i am running on Intel D845 chipset which has some problem with Ubuntu 8.10( It was mentioned in this forum)
Although, i am able to boot into safe graphics mode, but there screen resolution is too low and i am not able to see the full screen to install. So, not possible there too.

So, i was just asking, if i press the Install Ubuntu option(that is the second one) will it lead me to choose manual installation process where i can select where i want to install ?

Partyboi2
March 16th, 2009, 11:22 AM
The 2nd option will start the installer and at some point you will reach the partitioning stage where you will be given a few option that you can choose, like resize windows and install ubuntu or a manual option that allows you to manually create the partitions for Ubuntu.

Mark Phelps
March 17th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Hi All

I am not able to boot into live CD as i get a black screen after some time as i am running on Intel D845 chipset which has some problem with Ubuntu 8.10( It was mentioned in this forum)
Although, i am able to boot into safe graphics mode, but there screen resolution is too low and i am not able to see the full screen to install. So, not possible there too.

One of the main reasons for having a LiveCD in the first place is to see how well it detects your hardware PRIOR to installation.

If you're not getting a useful display, be prepared to do a LOT of command-line editing AFTER installation. Not saying it won't work; just saying that you're asking for trouble and need to know what you're getting into.