PDA

View Full Version : any computer programmers?

cirabisi2009
March 16th, 2009, 12:04 AM
i was just looking to talk to a computer programmer because im just getting ready to select what my major will be and i just had some questions.. pm me or find me on aim or yahoo. thanks in advance for helping me

Rocket2DMn
March 16th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Moved to Programming Talk :)

cirabisi2009
March 16th, 2009, 01:43 AM
thanx and sorry for posting in the wrong area! couldnt think of where my question would go](*,)

rich1939
March 16th, 2009, 01:56 AM
i was just looking to talk to a computer programmer because im just getting ready to select what my major will be and i just had some questions.. pm me or find me on aim or yahoo. thanks in advance for helping me

What kind of programming do you want to do? Operating Systems, Graphics, Games, Business Programming, Language Development, Embedded Systems etc.?

It would help if you'd give us some idea of your interests and maybe we can steer you to the right languages & development environments.

cirabisi2009
March 16th, 2009, 01:59 AM
What kind of programming do you want to do? Operating Systems, Graphics, Games, Business Programming, Language Development, Embedded Systems etc.?

It would help if you'd give us some idea of your interests and maybe we can steer you to the right languages & development environments.

operating systems, graphics, and business programming. im not to sure on what embedded systems is

Ferrat
March 16th, 2009, 02:51 AM
operating systems, graphics, and business programming. im not to sure on what embedded systems is

embedded systems are stuff like mobile phones, pda, more or less anything that is a computer (more or less) but smaller and more restricted, this also includes stuff like microwaves and other household stuff, most education stuff I've seen for this is directed as mobiles etc and Java in large part (since that is the "hipp" thing right now, not saying that is a bad thing).

Often those three (OS, graphics, business) are separated since they utilizes different things and specially graphics are less programming then one would hope for (in general) and more directed towards using 3D studio max, maybe if you could find a OpenGL class?

cirabisi2009
March 16th, 2009, 02:55 AM
well then maybe that but what i wanna do is operating systems like working and developing new things for linux and windows. possibly os x

Ferrat
March 16th, 2009, 03:07 AM
That's more or less what I would go for yes, in Sweden we have a "standard" program called (para-translated since we don't call computer science a science)

Computer science dedicated to program and system-development
including
Program architeture and systemdevelopment
Network and server programming
Programming for mobile systems

guessing that is more or less what you are looking for? =)

linuxisevolution
March 16th, 2009, 03:11 AM
I am not much of a programmer but I could use some help with creating my own distro.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6901883#post6901883

http://www.zephyruslinux.co.nr/

I know I will learn a lot, and if you want to become a developer just ask, so you will most likely learn a good bit about operating systems along the way. I recommend you take classes for Python.

cirabisi2009
March 16th, 2009, 03:23 AM
I am not much of a programmer but I could use some help with creating my own distro.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6901883#post6901883

http://www.zephyruslinux.co.nr/

I know I will learn a lot, and if you want to become a developer just ask, so you will most likely learn a good bit about operating systems along the way. I recommend you take classes for Python.

what do you mean if i want to become a developer to just ask? developer of what? classes for python huh. i see im a have to do some research still.

linuxisevolution
March 16th, 2009, 03:25 AM
what do you mean if i want to become a developer to just ask? developer of what? classes for python huh. i see im a have to do some research still.

Developer of the Linux distribution Zephyrus.

cirabisi2009
March 16th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Developer of the Linux distribution Zephyrus.

ooh y didnt you say so???

linuxisevolution
March 16th, 2009, 03:38 AM
ooh y didnt you say so???

I did :D

cirabisi2009
March 16th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I did :D

lol ooh ok. well my email is down. so how do i go about this developer title ?? my email isnt working right now ](*,)

linuxisevolution
March 16th, 2009, 03:54 AM
lol ooh ok. well my email is down. so how do i go about this developer title ?? my email isnt working right now ](*,)

Not much really. Refer to this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6901966#post6901966

And forums at http://www.linuxforums.tk

Basically you just come up with ideas and maybe write some program or script here and there. It'll pick up once I get some progress done first(and make the sources downloadable...)

imdano
March 16th, 2009, 03:18 PM
i was just looking to talk to a computer programmer because im just getting ready to select what my major will be and i just had some questions.. pm me or find me on aim or yahoo. thanks in advance for helping meYou're probably better served to just ask your questions in this thread, that way you're getting opinions/advice from a number of different perspectives.

mlambie
March 16th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I graduated CS about 6 years ago and started a software company shortly after. I'm the Technical Director and oversee a team of myself and three other developers.

If you're not programming before you go to uni then you're not likely to fall in love with it in a way that's really necessary to make it a successful career, in my opinion. It's one of those things that you pick up at an early age and by the time you start your tertiary education you could well have several years of "recreational" programming under your belt.

If you don't know what fields of programming you're interested in and are wanting to test the waters then I'd definitely agree that taking a course in Python or Ruby would be beneficial. You'll need to learn C at some point (according to Mr. Spolsky anyway) but it's not a good place to start. A dynamic language will either "light the fire" and you'll be addicted to hacking or you'll find the whole process boring and uninspiring, and CS/programming is not the right path for you.

A class at night school (we have TAFE in Australia, not sure what you'll have locally) will be significantly cheaper than at a university. You might even find some online courses that suit your needs.

If I was in Atlanta I'd be going to this: http://entp.com/training/atlanta09/

Just my 2 cents, from someone who saw too many people get into CS and then find out that they hated programming all together.

Bodsda
March 16th, 2009, 06:34 PM
@ linuxisevolution

At the bottom of the webpage it says the site is css and xhtml valid, erm, it isnt, for one there is not even a doctype in your (x)html, i checked it against all xhtml types and html types, it failes all of them. Your css is valid though.

I just thought id mention this.