rhyz
March 15th, 2009, 03:39 PM
what do you think?

tjwoosta
March 15th, 2009, 03:47 PM
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/730619/microsoft_surface_parody/

damis648
March 15th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I have actually seen and used one in person, it was at the North American International Auto Show, here in Detroit. Chrysler had one in their section, it was pretty cool. :popcorn: I messed with it, there were not a whole bunch of features because it way just for promotional purposes for chrysler, but it was neat. They actually had two. The funny part, though, was that above both of them was an animated sign for an advertisement. The sign crashed and was displaying a Windows error message. :popcorn: I have some pictures, I need to find them first.

linuxisevolution
March 15th, 2009, 03:54 PM
"It's not an Iphone, it's a big *** table! Take that apple!"

LOL that video made my day.

ratmandall
March 15th, 2009, 04:02 PM
The sign crashed and was displaying a Windows error message. :popcorn: I have some pictures, I need to find them first.

I stumbled across a similar situation, I was in-front of a real estate agent which had sideshows of houses across 8 monitors and every monitor was blank except for one which was displaying a windows error message about some program crashing ^-^

damis648
March 15th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I stumbled across a similar situation, I was in-front of a real estate agent which had sideshows of houses across 8 monitors and every monitor was blank except for one which was displaying a windows error message about some program crashing ^-^

But the funny part was that the sign was run by one of the surfaces. :popcorn:

Sand & Mercury
March 15th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Cool idea, for sure. But doesn't seem that useful to me.

Yownanymous
March 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Microsoft are WAY behind in the portable/handheld market, and this, I must say, doesn't vastly improve their chances. It will be expensive and generally unnecessary. I can't really see how this will be much more use than a laptop.

bashveank
March 15th, 2009, 07:59 PM
It would have been near revolutionary if it came out near when then announced it. Unfortunately, it's still near impossible to find one in the wild.

inobe
March 15th, 2009, 08:11 PM

that's hilarious' i almost fell of my chair in laughter

gjoellee
March 15th, 2009, 08:14 PM
"You can look at other people's kids play"

Rokurosv
March 15th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Hmmm, I remember a restaurant implemented somwhere, saw it on CNN. I don't see home users buying really big expensive touch tables, but perhaps in restaurants and stores might work.

scottuss
March 15th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Waiter: "Sorry sir, the kitchen didn't get your food order, we think the table must have some sort of worm that keeps eating everything..."

This is a really bad joke. But hey it's late and I'm tired.

ELD
March 15th, 2009, 09:45 PM

"it's a big *** table, take that apple"

HAHAHA that was funny as!

iKonaK
March 15th, 2009, 09:50 PM
microsoft surface = b*llsh*t
Apple at least has a nice practical design (iphone) even thou overpriced, but a table is just stupid....

ELD
March 15th, 2009, 09:53 PM
microsoft surface = b*llsh*t
Apple at least has a nice practical design (iphone) even thou overpriced, but a table is just stupid....

I have to agree, i couldn't see myself arching over a table getting a terrible bad back just to smear my hands all over an interactive table.

Unknown 4242
April 4th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I predict major security issues with the surface. Think about it, one of the key fetures is automatically conecting with wireless devices and doing things such as downloading files. Just walk by one with an infected camera or something (intentionaly)and its infected to! "Walk-by hackers!"

Not to mention future versions are supposed to read credit cards and other secure information just by touch. Stealing will never be easier.

vieux
April 4th, 2009, 08:46 AM
With Microsoft's increased focus on reducing areas of risk and increasing security, I'm sure they have a plan in mind in terms of authentication and authorisation when using Surface and wireless devices...

The interface itself looks good but the table is a bit bulky as well as being expensive. I suspect that this will be a marketing type item for a while yet before we see it get into the "affordable" price range :)

Mr-Biscuit
April 4th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Xorg is developing multi-pointer interface in which each is independently controlled. The surface table interface by Microsoft does not allow such.
The device is simply a device and should be viewed as such.

billgoldberg
April 4th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Microsoft are WAY behind in the portable/handheld market, and this, I must say, doesn't vastly improve their chances. It will be expensive and generally unnecessary. I can't really see how this will be much more use than a laptop.

Surface has nothing to do with the portable/handheld market.

It's a freaking table for crying out loud.

Would love to use one one of these days.

I believe there is a similar Open Source project going on somewhere that looks pretty good.

Bölvağur
April 4th, 2009, 10:37 AM
utterly useless.

3rdalbum
April 4th, 2009, 12:40 PM
"Rather than use one of today's more popular compact devices to get directions to where you're going, why not use a device the size of a small car?"

I love that video so much, and I've seen it so many times, I can quote it verbatim.

I don't think Microsoft thought through the practical applications of the technology before developing it. Rendering bubbles around the bottom of a glass whenever you put it on a table? So that's "the power of Microsoft Surface"?

jamesclish
April 4th, 2009, 12:45 PM

When I was in high school, I worked for a (Australian) supermarket, Coles. We would regularly get error messages and even BSODs on our Windows 95 computer systems...

MikeTheC
April 4th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I found that to be really obnoxious to have to watch in QoS. Fortunately, Judi Dench had a lot more and better scenes elsewhere.

Unknown 4242
June 14th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Is Linux installable on it or is it gonna be locked down with some DRM strategy?

If install is a yes then Surface will sure be an awesome way to use Gimp and Compiz.

If no then Surface is all the functionality of a mobile pone (except calling people) in the size of a small car. I doubt the Surface versions of MS products (office) are going to be any good.

Not to mention window glare and trying not to trip over the cord, seriously no one thought of these things? And ergonomics (sp?) is going to have to be rewritten if this becomes the mainstream way of doing things.

Mr. Picklesworth
June 14th, 2009, 09:32 PM
My thought on it as a product: Pff...

The technology is awesome, though. The only similarity between this and the iphone is that it supports touches from multiple points, but it does so completely differently. Here it uses infra-red light, a sheet of glass that dissipates light in a predictable way, and a camera. With that, it is possible to touch the screen with any physical object. It is possible to track any number of points, and the computer knows the shape of any object it makes contact with. It can know how far away an object is.
The result is really neat natural user interface that could do a lot of fun stuff.

As for how to build one, you can do it for the price of a projector, a webcam and a bit of glass:
http://nuigroup.com/

drawkcab
June 14th, 2009, 09:43 PM
smart furniture