where is the header gtk.h?

(#include <gtk/gtk.h>)

dwhitney67
March 15th, 2009, 01:38 PM
On Fedora 9, it is here: /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtk.h

jimi_hendrix
March 15th, 2009, 01:41 PM
On Fedora 9, it is here: /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtk.h

that worked but since that header is just a bunch of includes with other headers...

i really just want to see the prototype of G_OBJECT() and G_CALLBACK()

jimi_hendrix
March 15th, 2009, 01:56 PM
also what package do i need to dev gtk+ programs? i have been trying to do #import <gtk/gtk.h>, but it says there is no such file...i also tried with "'s instead of <>'s

dwhitney67
March 15th, 2009, 01:59 PM
also what package do i need to dev gtk+ programs? i have been trying to do #import <gtk/gtk.h>, but it says there is no such file...i also tried with "'s instead of <>'s
As indicated earlier, on my system the gtk/gtk.h file is in /usr/include/gtk-2.0.

Thus to compile a program, I would need to specify that path using the -I option.

For example

#include <gtk/gtk.h>

gcc -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 ...

If you are using C++, then substitute gcc with g++.

jimi_hendrix
March 15th, 2009, 02:01 PM
ok thanks

dwhitney67
March 15th, 2009, 02:03 PM
i really just want to see the prototype of G_OBJECT() and G_CALLBACK()

Are these gtk++ extensions? They do not exist on my system.

Habbit
March 15th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Some IDEs like NetBeans expand macros for you when you hover the mouse pointer over the invocations. They also allow to "go to declaration" and "go to source" of functions, etc.

nvteighen
March 15th, 2009, 05:46 PM
G_OBJECT() and G_CALLBACK() are actually part of GLib's gobject system, not GTK+.

To create GTK+ apps, you better use:

gcc -o myapp source.c -Wall `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0`

In the case of C++ programs using the gtkmm binding, I don't know how this is done. If you just use the regular GTK+ in C++ (which seems possible, though ridiculous), I guess just changing gcc to g++ in the former command would be enough.

Use backticks (` `) not quotes (' ')!

Habbit
March 15th, 2009, 05:55 PM

Lots of backtick griefs could be avoided just by using the more visually obvious $( subshell-command ) notation.

nvteighen
March 15th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Lots of backtick griefs could be avoided just by using the more visually obvious $( subshell-command ) notation.

Thanks. Didn't know that one!

jimi_hendrix
March 15th, 2009, 09:45 PM
G_OBJECT() and G_CALLBACK() are actually part of GLib's gobject system, not GTK+.

To create GTK+ apps, you better use:

gcc -o myapp source.c -Wall `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0`
In the case of C++ programs using the gtkmm binding, I don't know how this is done. If you just use the regular GTK+ in C++ (which seems possible, though ridiculous), I guess just changing gcc to g++ in the former command would be enough.

ok, they were in the first tutorial on google...if anyone has any tutorial recommendations they are welcome (for plain C)