PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to get passwordless samba access ?

bobdobbs
March 15th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Hi all.

I'd like to be able to share files on a home network.

At the moment, when clients try to access my ubuntu 8.10 fileserver, a password is requested.
I'd like disable the password requirement.

This is my existing smb.conf:

[global]
; General server settings
netbios name = faustina
server string =
workgroup = WORKGROUP
announce version = 5.0
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

passdb backend = tdbsam
security = share
null passwords = true
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
name resolve order = hosts wins bcast

wins support = yes

printing = CUPS
printcap name = CUPS

syslog = 1
syslog only = yes

[shared_folder]
path = /media/shared/
browseable = yes
read only = no
guest ok = yes
create mask = 0644
directory mask = 0755
force user = USER
force group = WORKGROUP
available = yes

I also suspect that samba is not honouring this file.
In nautilus, when I right click on the folder decribed in the conf file, the option to share to guests is greyed out.
In the conf, guests are explicitly allowed.

Will I have to uninstall and reinstall samba?
How can I remove the password requirement ?
Is there an alternative to samba that is easier to configure and use ?

loell
March 19th, 2009, 01:44 PM
i think there should be something like a

guest account = nobody

somewhere there.

http://www.chipnick.com/2008/05/03/setting-up-samba/

bobdobbs
March 20th, 2009, 02:03 AM
i think there should be something like a

guest account = nobody

somewhere there.

http://www.chipnick.com/2008/05/03/setting-up-samba/

Simply adding that line doesn't work.

I'm considering the possibility that on ubuntu the smb.conf is ignored.
I know it sounds odd, but I keep getting the same results: the share can be seen but no accessed, no matter what changes I make.

Demented ZA
July 20th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I'm having this exact same problem.

Feels like smb.conf is not making any effect on the system. And I did restart both pc's.

I'm trying to share a 500GB drive formatted in NTFS so that two windows pc's can do backups to it over the network.

Both pc's can see the shares fine, but once I try to open it, asks me for username and password. I type in the username and password, but it keeps saying invalid access.

The system was installed as Ubuntu 7.04 and upgraded through to 9.04. Shares I made previously and made accessable by the same user CAN still be accessed, but new shares are not.

I'm guessing it has to do with access rights of the files/folders itself in which case samba will have no effect on it?? (I tried chmod and chown adding the user, still no effect)

Not sure where to look for the logs, still new to Linux :oops:

bobdobbs
July 21st, 2009, 01:34 AM
I'm having this exact same problem.

Feels like smb.conf is not making any effect on the system. And I did restart both pc's.

I'm trying to share a 500GB drive formatted in NTFS so that two windows pc's can do backups to it over the network.

Both pc's can see the shares fine, but once I try to open it, asks me for username and password. I type in the username and password, but it keeps saying invalid access.

The system was installed as Ubuntu 7.04 and upgraded through to 9.04. Shares I made previously and made accessable by the same user CAN still be accessed, but new shares are not.

I'm guessing it has to do with access rights of the files/folders itself in which case samba will have no effect on it?? (I tried chmod and chown adding the user, still no effect)

Not sure where to look for the logs, still new to Linux :oops:

I have had very limited success with samba.
I failed to find out how to enable passworldless sharing.

Eventually, somebody sent me a copy of a smb.conf file that allowed passwordless sharing. But after a while, it just stopped working.

I figure that there is some magic to samba that I just can't figure out how to work.

At the moment I'm sharing across my linux boxes with ssh, made convenient by the gnome panel's ability to bookmark ssh locations.

However, short of using something like filezilla, my windows boxes don't have access. (This is fine for myself. But my less tech-minded flatmates have no way of sharing files across the network)

Sorry if that sounds discouraging. But I gave up months ago trying to get samba to work.