PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Different passwords for different shares?

ownaginatious
March 14th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I was wondering if it's possible to set up the smb server so that each of my shares can have a different username and password. My brother keeps stealing my old school work, and I need to keep him out of mine while still giving access to his from my file server.

Does anyone know how to do this? I have been unable to find anything that specific about configuration.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

mrsteveman1
March 14th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Doesn't samba obey file permissions? Keep your files in a folder that his user has no permissions for, chmod them to 700 or something.

I think it is possible to do per share permissions but it's been a while since i messed with it.

capscrew
March 14th, 2009, 11:08 PM
There are no share passwords. You authenticate the user, not the share. After the user is authenticated, the underlying permissions authorize the use of the files.

You can use the "valid user =" directive in the share stanza to limit the users of the share.

ownaginatious
March 15th, 2009, 05:14 AM
The problem is the drive I'm trying to share folders on is a permanent NTFS drive in the computer. Every time I try to change permissions, it automatically changes them all back to root. I have NTFS-3G, or whatever it's called, but I still can't get around it.

Any other options?

Thanks!

capscrew
March 15th, 2009, 05:32 AM
The problem is the drive I'm trying to share folders on is a permanent NTFS drive in the computer. Every time I try to change permissions, it automatically changes them all back to root. I have NTFS-3G, or whatever it's called, but I still can't get around it.

Any other options?

Thanks!

You might start here:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/AccessControls.html

mrsteveman1
March 15th, 2009, 07:01 AM
If this is a machine that's going to be a samba server you should really use a filesystem that directly supports permissions like ext3.