PDA

View Full Version : problem connecting to db: jdbc/mysql

badperson
March 14th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Hi,
I'm having a problem connecting to the db.
I have the jdbc driver installed, and connecter-j is on my build path.
Here's the relevant code:;

Class.forName(className);

// set user/pw
Properties p = new Properties();
p.put("user", "user");
p.put("password", "pw");

// establish connection
Connection con = DriverManager.getConnection(CONNECTION,p);
System.out.println("Successfully connected to db");
con.close();

It outputs this error:

via driver com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLSyntaxErrorExceptio n: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '????????????????' at line 1

it's weird to me that there's a sql error when I'm only connecting, not inserting or running a query. Anyone else run into this?

also,
I was able to run this successfully off the command line. The issue described above occurred running the app in eclipse. I'm running 64 bit ubuntu, and I had heard that there were weird little issues with eclipse on that platform...anyone else ever run into that?
bp

The Cog
March 14th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I don't have access to mysql stuff to check at the moment, but I think maybe it should be "passwd" not "password". Just a thought.

badperson
March 15th, 2009, 05:12 AM
figured it out...I changed the version of the jdk I was using and that solved the problem.
bp

myrtle1908
March 15th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Or

DriverManager.getConnection(MYSQL_URL + MYSQL_DBNAME, MYSQL_USERNAME, MYSQL_PASSWORD);

jamespi
April 2nd, 2009, 02:03 PM
I had the same syntax error message when trying to get openoffice.org 2.4 on intrepid to connect a remote mysql database via JDBC. The solution was to go to options->openoffice.org->java

i had "use java runtime environment" ticked already, and after a short delay the list of possible runtimes was populated with one item "SUN Microsystems Inc. 1.6.0_0".

This item had a radio button next to it that was not selected. I selected the radio button and clicked ok. I restarted ooo.org and after this is could connect to the MySQL db through JDBC without a hitch.