PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Want to dual boot windows

AndyP79
March 14th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Hi All,
Okay, so I have been trying to put a dual boot of LinuxMint on my XP Desktop. But....I can't seem to make it do it.

What do I need to do, someone in plain language, I am not the most savy, still learning, to accomplish this?

I am keeping the XP on there, because I just need a few programs that I have not been able to successfully get to work on Linux yet, but as soon as I can........ So, I do not need to use much room, as I already saved all my files from both my laptop and desktop to an external hard drive, and I really just need the programs......
Thanks

mikewhatever
March 14th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I don't know about Linux Mint, they probably have a forum of their own with all the instructions, but if you want to dual boot Ubuntu, it's just as simple as it gets.

1. Download the Live Desktop CD iso file.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GettingUbuntu#Download%20the%20Live%20Desktop%20CD

2. Verify the integrity of the downloaded file.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VerifyIsoHowto

3. Burn to disk.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

4. Install.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

AndyP79
March 15th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I have tried this with both mint and ubuntu, neither one, nore a copy of opensuse, works.....

I talked to a friend of mine who is more computer savy then me, and he said I had to go into the BIOS and tell it to see the disk drive first.

Did that, no change. It seems like no matter what I do, Windows seems to try to find a way to take over. I got the live disk, so when I put it in, it asks if I want help to make it load, I have tried both ways, and it restarts and asks if I want to load Windows or Mint, so I pick mint, it shows me the boot loader picture, then i get the mouse cursor, then I get the start up sound, and then...........nothing, just a cursor, and a black screen.........I hate windows, makes this seem so difficult.

I have a laptop that I am running mint fine on, and I am even writing this on a fresh load from the DVD that I am trying to use on the other desktop, so I know it is not the disk as it loaded fine on here............

lisati
March 15th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Oh: are you running Linux from the CD/DVD or have you actually installed it? If you've actuall installed Linux there should be an option at boot.

The setup I've used on the machine I'm using right now was to start Windows, insert the CD, and tell it to install "within Windows". Then when I power up, I'm given a choice: do I want Vista or do I want Ubuntu? If I don't do anything, it will assume that I want Vista.

On my other machines, when I've used dual-boot, I've freed up some disk space using a partition editor, then told the installation process to use the largest free space option. The boot-up option defaults to Ubuntu.

munishvit
March 15th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Sorry to mix-up my problem with this thread, but I too have problem with dual-boot and I want to install Windows XP on non-first primary partition. Please Check
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1095893
aaanny help would be great. Thanks :D

AndyP79
March 15th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Hey, thanks for the responses.

This is what I have going; I can not get the Ubuntu CD to load to where I have it on my desktop so I can click the install button. I have tried going into BIOS, and whatever point I get to, like I said, it does nothing.

AndyP79
March 15th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Okay, update. I did a defrag and set BIOS to boot a CD, then I inserted Mint. I got (in WindowsXP), a screen that pops up. I asked for help to install the CD. I rebooted, I hit ESC and it asked where I wanted to boot from, I choose CD. then it asked what I wanted to boot, I choose Mint, I get the boot up screen, then a black screen with the mouse cursor, then........nothing, black screen mouse cursor, I ave been sitting here looking at it for ten minutes now, and nothing................

jtb_90
March 16th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Why not try loging into Windows.. backing up your most important data to either an external hard drive.. a couple DVDs.. or an online server.. then install Linux completely using the whole hard drive.. then run XP in a virtual machine with your backed up data on there?

That's what I'm doing now.. I didn't want to lose XP.. so now I have Ubuntu.. with an XP virtual machine.. with my must have Windows apps on.

Hope this helps :)

AndyP79
March 16th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Why not try loging into Windows.. backing up your most important data to either an external hard drive.. a couple DVDs.. or an online server.. then install Linux completely using the whole hard drive.. then run XP in a virtual machine with your backed up data on there?

That's what I'm doing now.. I didn't want to lose XP.. so now I have Ubuntu.. with an XP virtual machine.. with my must have Windows apps on.

Hope this helps :)

This sounds like an idea. I wont go too far into details, but I got it to load, got to a point, rebooted, and BAM! nothing!, So.....to the shop it goes for some hands on expertise, and a back up disk of XP is going to be made, luckily, no data is even kept on that machine, yet.....

Thanks all......