PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] static ip on home network only?

Naegling23
March 14th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I use unison to sync files from my desktop to my laptop, this requires that I have a static IP set up. However, I frequently take my laptop around and connect to other networks. Is there a way to set a static IP for my home network, and dynamic for all other networks?

puppywhacker
March 14th, 2009, 05:22 PM
you can create an alias eth0:1 which has a static address in addition to your normal interface eth0 with a dhcp address.

you have to define the interfaces in a file, which would then disable the network manager

/etc/network/interfaces

auto lo eth0 eth0:1
iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface eth0:1 inet static
address 192.168.1.9
netmask 255.255.255.0

netztier
March 14th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I use unison to sync files from my desktop to my laptop, this requires that I have a static IP set up. However, I frequently take my laptop around and connect to other networks. Is there a way to set a static IP for my home network, and dynamic for all other networks?

Create a new "wired" profile in NetworkManager, with a static IP address setting (right click on NM's applet, "edit connections", "wired" tab, then "add..." etc.) and give it a meaningful name. So when you're at home, you can just select it from NetworkManager's menu.

regards

Marc