PDA

View Full Version : Firefox branding

maybeway36
March 13th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Many people know the name firefox is trademarked by Mozilla Corp., so some Linux distros have taken out the firefox brading.
Debian has iceweasel, GNU has IceCat, and Ubuntu has abrowser. Why they couldn't just collaborate between themselves to choose a name is beyond me.
What does everyone here think about this? I don't really care as long as I get the browser.

will1911a1
March 13th, 2009, 07:42 PM
What's in a name? I use it for it's functionality, not what it's called.

Rokurosv
March 13th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I'd chose the standard name. I like it and I like the icon.

Mazza558
March 13th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Standard name.

Think about it - it attracts users who feel more at home with the apps they used on Win/OSX. People who don't understand the concept of Open Source would see the unbranded Firefox with the same layout, and think it's some kind of cheap knock-off of the official Firefox.

swoll1980
March 13th, 2009, 07:58 PM
The standard name of course, no one knows what ice weasel is.

Eisenwinter
March 13th, 2009, 08:27 PM
It doesn't matter.

Also, you forgot Gran Paradiso, this is what Firefox is called on Arch :P

myusername
March 13th, 2009, 08:32 PM
It doesn't matter.

Also, you forgot Gran Paradiso, this is what Firefox is called on Arch :P
and some of the betas

binbash
March 13th, 2009, 10:20 PM
standard one of course

Sand & Mercury
March 13th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I don't understand why it matters that Firefox is a trademarked name to people. So is Ubuntu...

koenn
March 13th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I don't understand why it matters that Firefox is a trademarked name to people. So is Ubuntu...

Because Mozilla's trademark policy says

Those taking full advantage of the open-source nature of Mozilla's products and making significant functional changes may not redistribute the fruits of their labor under any Mozilla trademark.
So, if a Linux distribution, say Debian, would use trademarked Firefox, it can no longer grant and guarantee its users the right to modify and redistribute, because modifying and redistributing Firofox would be a trademark violation on the part of the users who choose to do so.
Therefor, Firefox does not meet Debians free software standards, but Firefox source code and binaries without trademarks does.

swoll1980
March 13th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Because Mozilla's trademark policy says

So, if a Linux distribution, say Debian, would use trademarked Firefox, it can no longer grant and guarantee its users the right to modify and redistribute, because modifying and redistributing Firofox would be a trademark violation on the part of the users who choose to do so.
Therefor, Firefox does not meet Debians free software standards, but Firefox source code and binaries without trademarks does.

All this says, is that they are free to change it, but can't call it Firefox once they do.

aysiu
March 13th, 2009, 11:35 PM
All this says, is that they are free to change it, but can't call it Firefox once they do.
I think Ubuntu has a similar trademark policy. You have to call it Remix if it's a modified Ubuntu release:
http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy

koenn
March 13th, 2009, 11:49 PM

actually:

... may not redistribute the fruits of their labor under any Mozilla trademark.
For example, it would be inappropriate for them to say "based on Mozilla Firefox".For example, it would be inappropriate for them to say "based on Mozilla Firefox".

Instead, in the interest of complete accuracy, they should describe their executables as "based on Mozilla technology", or "incorporating Mozilla source code." They should also change the name of the executable so as to reduce the chance that a user of the modified software will be misled into believing it to be a native Mozilla product.
apparently, Debian a.o. consider this too restrictive to meet their free software guidelines/policy

Chilli Bob
March 14th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I'm writing this from boxpup (a Puppy derivative) using a browser called "Bon Echo". What the hell is Bon Echo??? Open the Help-->About and it says it's Firefox. Then just call it Firefox I say, who cares if it's a trademarked name. Give credit to Mozilla for their work.

MikeTheC
March 14th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Debian and the other distros which have a problem with Mozilla's terms are clearly trying to reserve to themselves and their users the capacity for modifying and altering Ubuntu. Considering I've yet to see Debian actually do this, I think this really mostly works out to seeing who has the bigger dipstick.

Whatever. I say, let Firefox be called Firefox wherever it goes, and let derivative products be called something other than Firefox. Then people can choose what type of software product will best meet their specific needs, and there is delineation between what then actually are legitimately different sets of code.

init1
March 14th, 2009, 05:15 AM
I've always thought that IceWeasel was an awesome name :D

vishzilla
March 14th, 2009, 05:31 AM
For me it doesn't matter what the name is.. People using Linux should know that it is Firefox re-branded rather than some cheap knock-off

maybeway36
March 15th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I don't see the need for every single distro to use its OWN generic FF branding. I think that they should just all call it Iceweasel, which by the way is a pretty sweet name. (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Image:215Sneasel.png)