View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cant seem to open port 22 for unbuntu on my router

March 13th, 2009, 06:30 PM
hey i know its a stupid question cause ive done this before , but i cant seem to get my router to open port 22 to my machine so i can ssh/telnet to it. i am using a siemens speedstream 6520 wireless router from Aliant/Bell. I opened DMZ to see if that would help incase there was a firewall. still no go though. Only option it gives me is port mapping other then this which i have choosen ftp for the name and protocol i have choosen TCP , so it shows up as ftp/21 even though i choose 22 for the port. I have clicked teh redirect selected protocol/appliciation to ip adresss too where i have put the ip address the computer has on my network. for example if this computer is , and my linux box is i have put for the redirect ip. I have also attached a picture of what i can see at my options for port mapping.

Any help on this at all would be very thankful. thanks for your time.

March 13th, 2009, 08:13 PM
nevermind guys figured it out. thanks anyways.

May 6th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I have the same problem you had, if you please post the solution you find or a link it would be great, thanks.

May 6th, 2009, 05:35 AM
When setting up port forwarding, it is always best practice to set a staic ip address on the computer you are port forwarding to. To check if the port is open on your router or if your isp is blocking any ports, try canyouseeme (http://www.canyouseeme.org/).