PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Icons

AndyP79
March 13th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Okay, so I posted this yesterday, but not paying attention, I had messed up the title. So I will try again.....

I have been running LinuxMint. Whenever I try to download and use an Icon package, the folders just look grey. It does not seem to matter where I get them from, or which package. 99% of the time, they don't change to the new theme.

Anyone heard of this happening before or know anything that could be broke?

Thanks

martrn
March 13th, 2009, 08:10 PM
You may have a 'broken' or write protected 'index.theme' file.

find ~/ -iname index.theme

Gnome should look at your home directory for a ./icon folder and search for index.theme file, and read from there onwards.

KDE's "index.theme" files are handled differently to Gnomes.

stchman
March 13th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Okay, so I posted this yesterday, but not paying attention, I had messed up the title. So I will try again.....

I have been running LinuxMint. Whenever I try to download and use an Icon package, the folders just look grey. It does not seem to matter where I get them from, or which package. 99% of the time, they don't change to the new theme.

Thanks

When you download an icon set it usually comes in .tar.gz form. Are you saying that you cannot unpack the icons. You open up the Appearance manager and drag the icon archive into it.

Does this answer your question?

gandaran
March 13th, 2009, 09:16 PM

Thanks
do you mean when you run a root nautilus window the icons are gray?
for icons to work for both root and all users they have to be installed in /usr/share/icons, icons installed in /home/user/.icons only work for that user.

AndyP79
March 13th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I am using gnome, just to clarify.

I download a tar.gz then I drag it to the icons in the apperance application. I gt the grey folders in everything, nautilus and on the desktop.

gandaran
March 14th, 2009, 08:47 AM
in the appearance manager go to themes tab personalize icons tab choose the icon you installed, you still get grey icons then?

AndyP79
March 15th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Yes, this is where I was trying to explain where I am, when I change the icon theme, they are still grey