PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I need help to configure my wireless

hoboy
March 13th, 2009, 04:47 PM
My computer has wireless it works on windows.
I ma using ubuntu 8.10.
when I go to System/Preferences/Network configuration, I se Wired Auto etho.
On the right side of it there is wireless when I click on it then click on add
I windows called wireless connction open with fields.

SSID;
MODE;
BSSID;
Mac Address;
MTU.
my problem I don't know ho to fell these fields.
i am using ADSL.

issih
March 13th, 2009, 04:56 PM
If your wireless card is working, you don't need to mess with that.

Just right click on the networking icon in the system tray (in the top right) and make sure that enable wireless is selected.

At that point when you click on the networking icon you should get a list of detected wireless networks in range, and you simply click on the one you want to use and enter any necessary encryption passwords.

Hope that helps.

hoboy
March 13th, 2009, 05:05 PM
If your wireless card is working, you don't need to mess with that.

Just right click on the networking icon in the system tray (in the top right) and make sure that enable wireless is selected.

At that point when you click on the networking icon you should get a list of detected wireless networks in range, and you simply click on the one you want to use and enter any necessary encryption passwords.

Hope that helps.

When you said Just right click on the networking icon in the system tray (in the top right) ? is this the little computer picture on the right top ?
if so when i right click on that I only se Enable Networking

issih
March 13th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Right, then your wireless card is almost certainly not being detected.

Start by opening a terminal (under accessories) and then enter:

sudo lshw -C network

enter your login password and hit enter when prompted and then copy and paste the output (use the mouse) here.

That will let us see what your networking hardware is and we can go from there.

Hope that helps

hoboy
March 13th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Right, then your wireless card is almost certainly not being detected.

Start by opening a terminal (under accessories) and then enter:

sudo lshw -C network

enter your login password and hit enter when prompted and then copy and paste the output (use the mouse) here.

That will let us see what your networking hardware is and we can go from there.

Hope that helps

luc@ubuntu:~$ sudo lshw -C network
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: MCP73 Ethernet
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: f
bus info: pci@0000:00:0f.0
logical name: eth0
version: a2
serial: 00:24:21:10:ed:af
size: 100MB/s
capacity: 1GB/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list ethernet physical mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=forcedeth driverversion=0.61 duplex=full ip=192.168.1.2 latency=0 link=yes maxlatency=20 mingnt=1 module=forcedeth multicast=yes port=MII speed=100MB/s
*-network DISABLED
physical id: 1
logical name: pan0
serial: 76:0b:dd:ab:0c:a6
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes
luc@ubuntu:~$

issih
March 13th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Hmmn I'm pretty sure that is not showing your wireless card at all. The eth0 interface is your hardwire interface, and pan0 is usually a bluetooth interface. It really should show up in there if it is connected to the computer. What kind of computer do you have, and what sort of wireless card?

integrated wireless, usb dongle?

issih
March 13th, 2009, 05:29 PM
One thought, if this is a laptop with a switch/key combination to turn off the wireless networking, try using it and then running lshw again.

hoboy
March 13th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Hmmn I'm pretty sure that is not showing your wireless card at all. The eth0 interface is your hardwire interface, and pan0 is usually a bluetooth interface. It really should show up in there if it is connected to the computer. What kind of computer do you have, and what sort of wireless card?

I am using

Fujitsu Siemens stationary PC - AMILPI3620E0
about what sort of wireless i am using I don't know, i know it works on window I can se my Netgear on that then I use it without any internet cable.

hoboy
March 13th, 2009, 05:33 PM
One thought, if this is a laptop with a switch/key combination to turn off the wireless networking, try using it and then running lshw again.

It is stationary pc

hoboy
March 13th, 2009, 05:36 PM

I have just copy and transalate from the machine specifiaction.

Interface/connection
TV ud DVI
TV tuner yes
Networkcard type 10/100/1000
Wireless interface yes
USB 2.0 8
FireWire (IEEE 1394) 1
cardreader yes
Cardreader type USB, CF I&II, MD, SMC, MS, MSM, SD, SDHC, MC,

issih
March 13th, 2009, 05:37 PM
well that computer model number turns up zero hits on Google and the fujitsu siemens website, so I can't even research what card it should have.

See if you can find a better model number anywhere, or we are going to grind to a rapid halt.

Can you also post the output of running "lsusb" and "lspci" in the terminal.

hoboy
March 13th, 2009, 05:40 PM
well that computer model number turns up zero hits on Google and the fujitsu siemens website, so I can't even research what card it should have.

See if you can find a better model number anywhere, or we are going to grind to a rapid halt.

Thanks for your time.

hoboy
March 13th, 2009, 05:43 PM

sorry but this is a danish link to it, but this is an english forum

http://www.elgiganten.dk/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/store-elgigantenDK-Site/da_DK/-/DKK/ViewSearch-Start;pgid=BSSz6oZKU8dSR0EjRNJBwx1k000070huROgi?se archtext=amilpi3620e01&categories=&submit=submit

issih
March 13th, 2009, 05:43 PM
We need a lot more detail than just that is should have a wireless interface. We need to know what manufacturer and what chipset the wireless uses. We also need to know why it isn't showing in lshw.

As an example the lshw information from earlier tells me that your ethernet port is an nvidia product running on the mcp73 chipset.

I need that level of information about your wireless hardware.

issih
March 13th, 2009, 05:49 PM
There are no links I can find to find your hardware, and fujitsu don't admit that it exists, which makes it tricky.

please post the output of lsusb and lspci though, those are our last hope of finding out what the wireless card is short of you managing to find out, because I'm getting no where, hopefully there might be slightly more available in your area, given they sell it there :S

issih
March 13th, 2009, 06:02 PM
After a bit of poking of the fujitsu site, I think you probably have this wireless card:

Azure Wave AW-NU222

Unfotunately most of the sites about it are in German, and my German is pitiful.

Your best bet would be to hunt about on google for someone who has that card working under linux (or ideally ubuntu) and try that.

You might even want to post a new thread asking for help with that specific card

I can't really help any more than that I'm afraid.

issih
March 13th, 2009, 06:10 PM
After poking around in german ...here:

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:1lr9wjOd8boJ:forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/wlan-injection-patch-problme-zd1211rw/next/+AW+NU222+linux&cd=12&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a

I think that your card is based on the ralink 2870 chipset, and a bit of a search around here turn up this:

http://locoteam.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=960642

as being probably your best bet.

Hope that helps

JerryI
March 13th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Sorry to barge in, but it looks like you are chasing/diagnosing a problem similar to mine. I can see my network 2wire411 from Ubuntu Hardy but cannot get the system to accept my wep key 0360663701 that is perfectly acceptable from other computers on my wireless network. Here's what I get from your suggested query:

jerry@laptop:~$ sudo lshw -C network
[sudo] password for jerry:
*-network
product: RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 10
serial: 00:c0:9f:86:5c:8e
size: 10MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=8139too driverversion=0.9.28 duplex=half latency=64 link=no maxlatency=64 mingnt=32 module=8139too multicast=yes port=MII speed=10MB/s
*-network
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 1
logical name: eth1
serial: 00:1e:37:f6:cc:c4
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11b/g
jerry@laptop:~$

Any idea how I can correct my problem and get online?

Thanks

Jerry Isaacs

issih
March 13th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Generally you should start a new thread, and you are a lot further down the road than hoboy..you actually see a list of networks.

First of all try selecting to use a wep key rather than a passphrase (or vice versa) in the little dialog box.

If that doesn't work you should, temporarily, disable the encryption on your wireless network to check whether the wireless card is actually functioning.

Oh, and start a new thread..

JerryI
March 13th, 2009, 09:14 PM
You're way ahead of me on unencryption, etc. Three days ago I couldn't even spell Ubuntu. I will start a new thread in Wireless and Networking and would appreciate it if you would pick it up. I have been worrying about this problem for several hours and have a hunch you will be able to guide me. I will entitle the thread 2wire Network WEP Key Loop