PDA

View Full Version : epidermis hangs after i click apply

nikonfrz
March 13th, 2009, 09:24 AM
i just installed the latest version of epidermis and when i click apply it just hangs with "you may need to enter password to gain root access" and does nothing :\ can someone help me troubleshoot?

Orlsend
March 13th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Can you run it in the terminal? And tell us where it gets stuck and whats the outcome.

nikonfrz
March 13th, 2009, 06:21 PM
i went in terminal and did "epidermis" and it said

root@vpkeebs-laptop:/home/vpkeebs# epidermis
Epidermis, Copyright (C) 2008 David D Lowe
Epidermis comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details click on the About button, License
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; for details click on the About button, License

then i got a bug window with this message when it tried to load

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/epidermis", line 15, <module>()
import epidermis.epidermis
epidermis.epidermis.main()
variables: {'epidermis.epidermis.main': ('local', <function main at 0x90c6374>)}
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/epidermis/epidermis.py", line 1430, main()
"""launches start(sys.argv)"""
start(sys.argv)
variables: {'start': ('global', <function start at 0x90c06bc>), 'sys.argv': ('global', ['/usr/bin/epidermis'])}
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/epidermis/epidermis.py", line 1403, start(args=['/usr/bin/epidermis'])
print debuginfo.debuginfo()
app = EpidermisApp()
gtk.main()
variables: {'app': (None, None), 'EpidermisApp': ('global', <class epidermis.epidermis.EpidermisApp at 0x90c135c>)}
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/epidermis/epidermis.py", line 246, __init__(self=<epidermis.epidermis.EpidermisApp instance at 0x90c592c>)
if not os.path.exists(MY_DATA_HOME):
client.set_bool("/apps/epidermis/apply_system_wide",False)
client.set_string("/apps/epidermis/repo_url", "http://download.tuxfamily.org/epidermis/ghns/downloads.xml")
variables: {'False': ('builtin', None), 'client.set_bool': ('local', <built-in method set_bool of gconf.Client object at 0x90d0784>)}
GError: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)

debuginfo.debuginfo error

it will load from the menu but not terminal :\

Flimm
March 13th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Hi, I'm the developer of Epidermis. Could you also include which version of Ubuntu you're running,the version of Epidermis, and the output of this command: python --version

nikonfrz
March 13th, 2009, 07:41 PM
ubunutu 8.10
epidermis 0.2.2
output of "python --version"

vpkeebs@vpkeebs-laptop:~$ python --version
Python 2.5.2
vpkeebs@vpkeebs-laptop:~$

Orlsend
March 14th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Just to be safe. Epidermis only works on gnome, I just said that because in your profile it says you use Kubuntu. Ill try to get Flimm over and see what he thinks of your error output.

nikonfrz
March 14th, 2009, 09:41 AM
i use ubuntu. sorry i didn't notice it said kubuntu :\

nikonfrz
March 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM
bump?

Orlsend
March 15th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Sorry i tried to contact Flimm, but I was informed he was in a Holiday though he should be back by tomorrow. I am going ahead and post this this in Launchpad.

Flimm
March 19th, 2009, 04:24 PM
For some reason, the gconf module is refusing to cooperate. Try running the script I've attached and post the output please.
Oh, BTW, I'd appreciate it if users only post their own bugs, Orlsend, for reasons I've explained on the bug tracker (https://bugs.launchpad.net/epidermis/+bug/343315).

nikonfrz
March 20th, 2009, 07:13 AM
am i to make this an executable? if so i did, and it opened epidermis and i still get the hang after i click apply :\ if i'm not to run as executable please specify as im new to ubuntu and not sure what you want me to do

Flimm
March 20th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Sorry, here are more specific instructions:
download the script and put in your home directory
open a terminal
make it executable by running:

chmod +x gconf_test.py
run the script and post the output:

./gconf_test.py

nikonfrz
March 20th, 2009, 06:55 PM
"a programing error has been detected during the execution of this program"

File "./gconf_test.py", line 22, <module>()
import epidermis.epidermis
epidermis.epidermis.main() variables: {'epidermis.epidermis.main': ('local', <function main at 0x900648c>)}
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/epidermis/epidermis.py", line 1430, main()
"""launches start(sys.argv)"""
start(sys.argv)
variables: {'start': ('global', <function start at 0x90057d4>), 'sys.argv': ('global', ['./gconf_test.py'])}
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/epidermis/epidermis.py", line 1403, start(args=['./gconf_test.py'])
print debuginfo.debuginfo()
app = EpidermisApp()
gtk.main()
variables: {'app': (None, None), 'EpidermisApp': ('global', <class epidermis.epidermis.EpidermisApp at 0x90012fc>)}
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/epidermis/epidermis.py", line 246, __init__(self=<epidermis.epidermis.EpidermisApp instance at 0x9004d2c>)
if not os.path.exists(MY_DATA_HOME):
client.set_bool("/apps/epidermis/apply_system_wide",False)
client.set_string("/apps/epidermis/repo_url", "http://download.tuxfamily.org/epidermis/ghns/downloads.xml")
variables: {'False': ('builtin', None), 'client.set_bool': ('local', <built-in method set_bool of gconf.Client object at 0xb7a5116c>)}
GError: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)

debuginfo.debuginfo error

and terminal said this:

root@vpkeebs-laptop:/home/vpkeebs# chmod +x gconf_test.py
root@vpkeebs-laptop:/home/vpkeebs# ./gconf_test.py
gconf.__file__ : /var/lib/python-support/python2.5/gtk-2.0/gconf.so
File "./gconf_test.py", line 12, in <module>
print "/apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop :", client.get_bool("/apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop")
/apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop : Epidermis, Copyright (C) 2008 David D Lowe
Epidermis comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details click on the About button, License
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; for details click on the About button, License
root@vpkeebs-laptop:/home/vpkeebs#

Flimm
March 21st, 2009, 07:38 PM
The error is pretty strange, and is not a bug in Epidermis. It seems like your Gconf system is broken. Do you get any error messages when you log in? What happens when you put this command in the shell:

gconftool-2 --get /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop

nikonfrz
March 22nd, 2009, 06:04 AM
vpkeebs@vpkeebs-laptop:~$ su
Password:
root@vpkeebs-laptop:/home/vpkeebs# gconftool-2 --get /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop
Failed to get value for `/apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop': Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)
root@vpkeebs-laptop:/home/vpkeebs#

this sucks :(

Flimm
March 23rd, 2009, 05:16 PM
I feel for you :icon_frown: and I don't know how to fix the problem. Why don't you go to Beginner Talk (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326) and show them the error you get when you use gconftool-2?

nikonfrz
March 23rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
alright. well thank you so much for trying to help me figure this out. i appreciate it very much :)