PDA

View Full Version : how DO I install MS Office 2007 on ubunt 8.10

aurora_consurgens
March 13th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Hello

I use Ubuntu 8.10 and I want to run Office 2007 but I don't know how to install. Can I install Office 2007 in Ubuntu 8.10? and if I can do, how to install. THANK YOU :)

humphreybc
March 13th, 2009, 03:39 AM
You need to use Wine software emulation. Search the repositories (add/remove programs) for "wine" and install it.

Once it is installed, navigate to your Office 2007 installer (.exe) and right click > open with Wine. Install the program. You can find it under Applications > Wine > Programs.

To check whether other programs will work with Wine, go to WineHQ.org

Word 2007: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=12811

sgosnell
March 13th, 2009, 04:33 AM
I don't think MS Office will run in wine. That's a strictly Windows app, and Microsoft seems to go out of their way to make sure their apps won't run anywhere else. Open Office will open, edit, and save Office documents, though, and do it as well as MS Office. It's free, and already installed in Ubuntu.

Locutus_of_Borg
March 13th, 2009, 04:41 AM
apt-get install openoffice.org

why bother with ms office?

i wouldnt even use that thing on windows

AeroGT3
March 21st, 2009, 09:30 PM
Sorry, but none of the free programs come even close to excel. Word, yes. Excel, hell no!

rhcm123
March 21st, 2009, 09:36 PM
Sorry, but none of the free programs come even close to excel. Word, yes. Excel, hell no!

agreed. The openoffice presentation software also leaves somthing to be desired

hikaricore
March 21st, 2009, 09:37 PM

agreed. The openoffice presentation software also leaves somthing to be desired

Please refrain from digging up a week old post with useless garbage.

rhcm123
March 21st, 2009, 09:40 PM
Please refrain from digging up a week old post with useless garbage.

sorry, i usually don't read the post age - all threads are equal

hikaricore
March 21st, 2009, 09:42 PM
Right but you took a help thread and used it as a soapbox for your views and so did the other guy.

Thread closed.