PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Belkin Wireless G USB adapter and 8.10??

ChildOfMana
March 12th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Hi,

I've been helping a friend out with a Windoze problem he's been having... the problem being Windoze itself!

I convinced him to try Ubuntu and booted from the 8.10 Live CD. All his hardware is detected properly and everything seems to work fine... except the Internet connection.

He's using a Belkin Wireless G USB adapter and connecting to a Sagem Sky B/B Wireless Router.

I can't seem to set up a wireless connection in Network Manager at all.

I plugged the USB adapter in and did lsusb and it is being detected:

Bus 002 Device 002 ID 050d:705e Belkin Components

Unfortunately I didn't think to do iwconfig so can't tell you what the output of that was.

As you might have guessed I haven't got access to the computer at the moment. I'm going back round to his house tomorrow night to attempt to get it working. The only problem is I won't have any Internet access while I'm there until I get his connection up and running... if I get it up and running.

I'm looking for suggestions or How-To's that I can arm myself with before I go to give me the best chance of success.

The USB adapter works fine in Windoze so I know there's no problem with the hardware.

I can't physically connect his router to his Ethernet card to get a connection that way as the router is in a completely different room and neither of us have a long enough cable going spare. I also can't coax Windoze into booting after a 'fatal system error' either so can't connect that way to seek further advice.

I'm sorry for the lack of information - I know it doesn't help matters.

Anyone know how I can get him online?

Any and all help appreciated :)

ChildOfMana
March 13th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Anyone?

I'm off to attempt to get him online in a few mins and any/all suggestions are welcome.