PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] TightVNC

y0umebednow
March 11th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Im trying to control my windows XP machine with my ubuntu laptop. i installed Tightvnc on both of them (through Wine on ubuntu). even though i can connect to my desktop in LAN, i would like to know how to connect VIA the internet. So whenever im out of town i would like to connect to my home computer via internet. i understand you have to forward ports to make it work. this is where im having trouble. i have a Verizon Fios router (Actiontec MI-424-WR). and i have forwarded the ports according to Portforward.com. But when i try to control it from the viewer on my ubuntu laptop, it does not work. Do i still type the IP address or do i have to type in the port since im not connecting from LAN? i would like to solve this problem.

jonobr
March 11th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Hello

Not sure why you installed vnc viewer on wine in ubuntu.

Did you try using the onboard application to do this?
Apps->internet->remote desktop viewer and connect using that?

once thats done, IM assuming you have an ip address or host/domain name to connect to.
if thats the case just enter that and you should be good to go.
If it doesnt work, you have to figure if its getting to your router. are you able to get to your home network., is the remote machine not answering the call to it (ie getting by the router)