PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of War 2?

CodyK46
March 11th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Has anybody been able to get the game to install? I installed it on my XP partician a while back. It's on my Steam account for download. I've tried to install it from the DVD and it locks up everytime. I know it might be a hassle since you have to install Windows Live.

HH60Gunner
March 22nd, 2009, 05:38 PM
My wife just sent me a copy of this game in Iraq. I haven't even opened it from the package but I was also curious if anyone else has successfully got this to work with wine as well. I'll try and give it a shot my self later on tonight, but it seems as though others are already having problems so, I'll post up what my experience is with it as well.

NightMKoder
March 22nd, 2009, 06:03 PM
AppDB http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=15741 .

Seems like it doesn't work, since .NET 3.0 does not.

HH60Gunner
March 24th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Man this game is a pain in the butt even in windows. I will never buy anymore games from companies that force you to use steam, and windows live just to install the game. Before even tried to install in linux I tried installing on my windows partition. Wow, what a pain. My wife sent me this game since my internet here is so slow so I couldn't play my normal online games. Just installing this game proved to be a challenge while using a morale satellite internet connection. Since the connection wasn't all that great steam had problems connecting and kept disconnecting constantly. It took me around 4 hours just to install this game solely because I had a bad internet connection. All I wanted to do in the first place was to install it to play it in offline mode. Can't believe a company would punish paying users like this to avoid people pirating the game. The funniest part is that when all was said and done, it would have been faster for me to download the pirated copy and install it instead. Funny how going overboard on anti-piracy makes someone want to go out and get the pirated copy to avoid all the hassle.

CylnZ
March 2nd, 2010, 08:48 AM
Yeah, I bought a sony movie just recently and it wouldnt play on my little sony portable dvd player. Turns out it doesnt have the needed drm crap in the player. So since I couldnt watch my paid for sony dvd in my paid for sony dvd player I just grabbed a torrent off the web, burned it, and my player views it just fine...

WTG sony.

bowser o_0 moop
March 22nd, 2010, 08:16 PM
Sort of. Well, no. I've managed to launch the installer quite nicely but it seems to just stop when it's finished configuring filthy Windows components. I've managed to get all the new Sam and Max games, and a few of the other games like Torchlight off Steam (though had to go a kind of backwards way of doing it. Download through Steam then open direct with WINE; Steam launches, but to run the program rather than running Steam then selecting the program - essentially the same thing but it works).
The odd think is, I keep an eye on my Conky just to see how much system it's using; it doesn't look as though it's using anything. The CPU and RAM are running as standard. Curious.
Gonna try learning some more about WINE itself, see if I can't bodge a solution. At the moment I'm blaming Windows. Windows gets blamed for a lot of things. It deserves it though.

asdfoo
March 23rd, 2010, 03:09 AM
In general, steam isn't a problem for Wine.

like NightKModder says, this game requires GFWL (Games for Windows Live) which needs Microsoft .NET 3.5, Wine isn't able to install that yet. I think there are still issues with .NET 2 that need to be fixed which are common to it.

The only workaround is disabling gfwl by using a stub dll, there might be some information on that, but that means you will not be able to save your game or play online - atleast that's my understanding.

jimmah6786
August 9th, 2010, 02:59 PM
.NET 3.5, I was reading that Mono can be used to run those .NET apps...Could mono be used to install and run Games for windows LIVE?

Or am I way out in left field on this one? haha

HKJGN
August 15th, 2010, 10:34 AM
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=14322

AFAIK, this is supposed to install GFWL, which is needed to run DOW2, i'm trying it here and if i get it to work i'll add it to the Wine AppDB, if anyone wants to try it, just search GFWL on this page.

HKJGN
September 3rd, 2010, 06:50 AM
so has anybody else tried it? does it work now with GFWL?

X1R1
September 16th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I want to install this also so If anyone get this to work I would be glad to know the solution. Also I have the steam version and that is not an issue to wine, I have team fortress 2 installed and it runs perfectly :D