PDA

View Full Version : [other] Network Manager not running - no internet

RIT_girl
March 10th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Hello,

I probably did something that turned off my network manager, but currently I cannot get internet wired or wireless. Any suggestions would be helpful? I run eeebuntu standard.

Recently to my computer I downloaded gtkpod and deleted all the bluetooth applications, but I don't think that would really impact this.

thanks,

RIT_girl
March 10th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Oh, the last thing I did was use install the acroread packages.

Kareeser
March 10th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Is the network manager running?

Try typing:

nm-applet

RIT_girl
March 10th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I ran that in the terminal, and it said it can be found in the following packages: network-manager gnone and mythbuntu-diskless client, but it gave no indication if it was running.

RIT_girl
March 10th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Okay, I tried /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start and it appeared to start,until I got the screen that said I must be in root to run Network Manager,

I thank typed "~$ root" and repeated it, and nothing...

minsf
March 10th, 2009, 09:32 PM
in a terminal run
sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager restart

avtolle
March 10th, 2009, 09:34 PM
You need to use sudo as
sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start

RIT_girl
March 10th, 2009, 09:36 PM
All solved, the root was different. Thanks for your help! It was that Network Manager start...

RIT_girl
March 10th, 2009, 09:37 PM
And thanks for understanding I'm a noob and not so quick with the syntax. :)

minsf
March 10th, 2009, 10:56 PM
glad to hear things are working now.
in general, you'll need to use "sudo" before a command that needs superuser (root) permissions. (or if you get an error due to permissions, "sudo !!" will run the previous command with root permissions). check https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
have fun

dannymichel
July 30th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Every time I restart my computer the network manager isn't running and I have to use sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager eeatart to get it working again. Any ideas?

hardke01
August 20th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I too have the same problem where NetworkManager is not running on boot. I have to manually type sudo NetworkManager afer each reboot to get the daemon running. nm-applet is starting in the tray fine.
If the nm-applet is clicked it also reports that NetworkManager is not running.

This could do with fixing. Its really annoying to have to keep launching the network manager manually.
Any help appreciated.

Thanks

scienty
August 13th, 2010, 04:46 PM
int 10.04 it is

either

sudo start network-manager

or

sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager start

or

sudo service network-manager start

soyatti
July 1st, 2012, 08:05 PM
i had the same issue. this fix helped: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2009719

I too have the same problem where NetworkManager is not running on boot. I have to manually type sudo NetworkManager afer each reboot to get the daemon running. nm-applet is starting in the tray fine.
If the nm-applet is clicked it also reports that NetworkManager is not running.

This could do with fixing. Its really annoying to have to keep launching the network manager manually.
Any help appreciated.

Thanks

cmcanulty
July 1st, 2012, 09:26 PM
I also have same problem on an HPg72t laptop. Started with update to 12.04

oldos2er
July 1st, 2012, 10:21 PM
Old thread closed. Anyone experiencing issues should start a new thread.