PDA

View Full Version : Image editor

raunhar
March 10th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I am into web designing, so need a good image editor. Till recently I was using Windows with Paint Shop pro. Very much satisfied with PSP.
But I really miss it in Ubuntu. Tried installing with WINE, but was not successful.

any suggestions

simptechmike
March 10th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I use GIMP here. Was a former PSP user myself, but find gimp suitable as a replacement.

gewitty
March 10th, 2009, 10:48 AM
GIMP is excellent and I use it a lot. If you were previously a Photoshop user, it may take a while to get the hang of GIMP's GUI, but it's worth persevering.

You may also want to take a look at Inkscape, which is a vector graphics app and can do clever things with text which GIMP can't. Using these two packages together will give you a pretty powerful set of tools, capable of just about anything.

Dragonbite
March 10th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Gimp or Krtia will work great for regular (pixel) images.

Inkscape or Xara Xtreme work great for scalable vector graphics (which may be preferable so you can resize as necessary without any loss)

I just tried Gimp 2.6 last night and there are some great features I haven't seen there before, such as making a couple styles of buttons or banners and such. It includes a few themes and (chrome, comic book, etc.) and then you place the text you want in that format and it makes it. Pretty cool!

Gerhardus
March 12th, 2009, 10:50 PM
As a webdesigner Gimp should suit almost all of your needs. The main downfalls for Gimp at the current are the lacking in adjustment layers and bit depth higher than 8bit. Both of which are going to be coming about now that they have switched over to using GEGL, and I don't see much use for either for web design. Also, I believe there's an extension that allows for an export to web with information on download time and offering previews to see any degradation. I know that it supports slicing, which seems to be one of the more important features of photoshop and paintshop when it comes to webdesign.

Absolom
May 1st, 2009, 02:08 PM
GIMP may be ok for average stuff but I still prefer Paint shop Pro by far because of features GIMP doesn't have like tubes and 1 touch photo adjustment to name 2.

hessiess
May 1st, 2009, 02:28 PM
Gimp, While I use to like PSP, I now find the interface to be a complete mess.

kernel_script
May 1st, 2009, 11:17 PM
GIMP and Inkscape for sure.

Also, try FX-Foundry and GIMP Paint Shop GIMP extensions. They make GIMP even more powerful. And, Try to find Python GIMP Scripts, and GIMP extensions in general, related to Web Development.

raunhar
May 2nd, 2009, 05:14 AM
Are these extn.s easy to use, and will they be installed in GIMP.
And the question still remains unanswered, How do i use Paint Shop Pro with Ubuntu.

kernel_script
May 2nd, 2009, 12:29 PM
Are these extn.s easy to use, and will they be installed in GIMP.

It was a question? If yes: Yes, easy to use and easy to install.

To install extensions, just hit Alt+F2, in the dialog that appears, type: gksu nautilus
Give your password, navigate to /usr/share/gimp/2.0/scripts, here are your GIMP scripts. Copy and Paste all the content withing the FX-Foundry package that you downloaded here. You're ready to go. This will create a new menu entry on GIMP called "FX-Foundry".

Additionally, for Brushes, put them on the Brush folder on /usr/share/gimp/2.0/brushes

JasonKenyon
May 2nd, 2009, 06:46 PM
This might help you install paint shop pro on Ubuntu. Though I really don't know why you would want it when you have GIMP.

http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112195

kahunamahalo
May 2nd, 2009, 07:10 PM
Gimp here also