PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] desktop effects not working on PowerBook G4 1.67GHz

E-Rackattack
March 9th, 2009, 09:40 PM
My PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz runs Kubuntu Hardy with KDE 4.0. I'm afraid that I've modified the system so much that I can't get desktop effects on this machine.

Can someone tell me what I need?

avtolle
March 9th, 2009, 11:17 PM
What video card do you have in your computer?

mkvnmtr
March 10th, 2009, 03:01 AM
I have a G4 Ibook with and I was able to get a good many desktop effects working. I don't remember what distro maybe 7.04 or later. It was so resource intensive that now tone of the first things I do is uninstall compiz. My system runs better for it. I have an ATI card and as I recall it worked out of the box as they say. I bet if you approach it with all the information of your equipment someone here will get you going.
Be sure to list your cards and what you might have done to get them going.

E-Rackattack
March 11th, 2009, 09:45 PM
What video card do you have in your computer?

I'm using an ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 series card. I had it working with Ubuntu Fiesty's Graphic effects, so it should work fine.

I'm probably missing software or something.

utgodmode
May 14th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Guess its something to do with the software part. I have it working on G4

Shazz.ng
May 19th, 2009, 08:56 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCKnownIssues

stream303
May 19th, 2009, 11:41 PM
On a related note - with all that is happening with ATI these days, it appears that Ubuntu has adopted a more generic video driver for ati boxes.

Ironically, this makes it easier for the majority of ATI ppc users to get to a working state, whereas before one had to manually specify the specific driver such as r128, radeon, etc along with a host of other ati-specific driver options. This usually made it tougher for Linux beginners.

Now, the likelyhood of getting a usable system out of the box has increased, although there are still the usual suspects, such as Ubuntu's splash-screen which can still throw one for a loop right out of the gate.

If you look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log you'll be able to tell what is going on. (That's a capital X btw..)

Unfortunately, for those that were able to have desktop affects with ati (nvidia boxes were never able to), this capability may have gone away -- for the time being..

monofonik
June 6th, 2009, 09:17 PM
well that sucks! i was looking forward to some desktop effect magic. ****.

gwydionwaters
September 21st, 2009, 05:05 AM
Guess its something to do with the software part. I have it working on G4

what did you do to get it working on a g4? i have a pb g4 1.25ghz and i would like to get the nvidia drivers going if i can.