PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help a beginner to get started! =]

prozack
March 9th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Have just gone over to Linux and chose to run with Ubuntu 8.10, you should know that I have never used any Linux version before.

So I wonder if you could help me sort out a couple of questions.

In order to make Linux more secure - What are the options then. Are currently using Firestarter, it is sufficient or do I need something more.?

Instead of MSN, I chose to use "Pidgin", works fine, or you have a better suggestion.?

Instead of mIRC, should I use Irssi.If not what program would you prefer.?

Last but nevertheless an important point, is there any program for linux / ubuntu that is a must for YOU.(If tell me then, or link a site)

Thanks for all your help. - Best wishes, who wants to learn everything about ubuntu: P

ivanvajar
March 9th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Firestarter is not essential. Linux has no services that are 'faced out', so Ubuntu is a firewall itself. However, Firestarter is additional security measure and it's not bad idea to use it, but you mus configure it.

kanikilu
March 9th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Have just gone over to Linux and chose to run with Ubuntu 8.10, you should know that I have never used any Linux version before. Welcome :)

In order to make Linux more secure - What are the options then. Are currently using Firestarter, it is sufficient or do I need something more.? I think that's plenty, if you want to read up more on security, check out bodhi.zazen's Ubuntu Security thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812)

Instead of MSN, I chose to use "Pidgin", works fine, or you have a better suggestion.? That's what I use, but there are certainly other options if you are unhappy with it. Just list what you are looking for in a IM client, and I'm sure someone can suggest something.

Instead of mIRC, should I use Irssi.If not what program would you prefer.? I use xchat out of habit...haven't tried Irssi.

Last but nevertheless an important point, is there any program for linux / ubuntu that is a must for YOU.(If tell me then, or link a site) I can't live without amarok for music. cssh for running commands simultaneously on multiple servers. regexxer for advanced find and replace in multiple files/directories. virtualbox for running and testing different OSes.

t0p
March 9th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Security-wise, Windows and Linux aren't even in the same ballpark. Many Linux users (including me) don't bother with any anti-malware. Others run AV so they won't accidently infect Windows-using friends with a Windows virus. If you're running web-facing services on your box, a firewall may be a good idea. Otherwise there is very little point.

I like pidgen. For irc I use X-chat.

My fave apps are firefox and gimp. They come with the default install of ubuntu.

sandyd
March 9th, 2009, 10:10 PM
No firewall for Ubuntu, except if your running a server

MSN clients?

ill give you a list

(to install, just type sudo apt-get install appname)
kmess
pidgin
amsn
kopete

Theirs also some other GUIs (sorry if im biased)

KDE 3
KDE 4
XFCE

if you want any of them, just ask... im not going to post out instructions to install all of them

this will give you all your codecs

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restructed-extras

THe version of openoffice included with the CD is.... old... perhaps someone can tell you the resipostry to install the new one (doesn't come off the top of my head at this moment, sorry)

P.S. you can also try Kmess 2

its uploaded here
http://rapidshare.com/files/207302027/kmess_20090228-4203_i386.deb.html

forgive me for my advertising.

linuxisevolution
March 9th, 2009, 10:18 PM
You will not need a firewall or any type of security thing. You can even go to virus infected sites with Linux and browse them with no prob. :P

Your software choices seem good.

To install software with Linux there is a thing called repositories. Repositories (aka repos) are basically databases that hold all the software you will ever need. You can browse it and install it on your Ubuntu by clicking Applications and then add/remove and click "all available applications" from the drop down menu and search for whatever it is you need. There is some good games in there too.:)

I also recommend you mess around with your desktop and customize it the way you like. Linux can look like ANYTHING. It can look like a mac, like Windoz Vista, or something even better. What ever you do, at least change the default theme:popcorn:

the.phantom
March 9th, 2009, 10:26 PM
don't know if you have played with Ubuntu in "live cd" or not?

but add/remove is where you can find a lot of the "must have" programs
and things like restricted drivers for video and audio and net, and even some fonts

TheLunticIsInMyHead
March 9th, 2009, 10:44 PM
+1 on the GIMP, I use it all the time.

I also couldn't get by without VLC media player.

Welcome to Linux :-)

Mike

hyper_ch
March 9th, 2009, 10:56 PM
It is advised to use a descriptive topic title, that means a topic title that gives some clue about the content in the thread itself...

A generic topic title like "noob here" or "need help" does not help at all. As you may have noticed, just about everyone posting in here has some kind of a problem or issue or question ;)

And it is also adviced to use seperate threads for unrelated problems so that you can mark each one individually as solved.

Or in short terms: Help others to help you ;)

See the forums policy, especially section II.2: http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy

Also, when you are asked to post output from (config) files or from a command, use
brackets around (each) output. That makes it also easier to read.