PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading my SerP3 (the continuing saga)

Trevor Bramble
March 9th, 2009, 06:54 PM
76ers (that is, Thomas Aaron),

It looks like the 64-bit overhead might be more than I'm set up to handle with just the 2 gigabytes of RAM in the system. With Firefox (*2), Eclipse (*2), SQL Developer, Amarok, and a few small apps open, I'm over %80 utilized and occasionally clinging to the ceiling until closing things out.

2*4GB looks amazingly expensive, but 2*2GB does not. So, what I'm sure the usual RAM questions are:

1. What sort to buy?
2. Buy a matched pair or just one more 2GB?

Somewhat related: I see that my 128MB swap partition is %100 utilized. Should that be resized? How big should it be? Obviously the old math based on RAM is no longer applicable.

thomasaaron
March 9th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Hmmm...

If you have 2GB in your system now, you probably have 2ea 1GB cards. So, to go to 4GB (total) you would probably need to by a 2ea 2GB cards.

The motherboard limit for that computer is, I believe, 4GB total.

steveneddy
March 9th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I see that my 128MB swap partition is %100 utilized. Should that be resized? How big should it be? Obviously the old math based on RAM is no longer applicable.

The swap should be around 1.5 Gigs with between 2-4 Gigs of RAM.

Make the swap larger and you will see RAM usage go down.

Add more RAM and you will see swap usage almost gone.

But 128mb swap is really too small. Enlarge it to at least one Gig.

thomasaaron
March 9th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks, Steveneddy. I didn't see that question.

Trevor Bramble
March 9th, 2009, 08:17 PM
If you have 2GB in your system now, you probably have 2ea 1GB cards. So, to go to 4GB (total) you would probably need to by a 2ea 2GB cards.

The motherboard limit for that computer is, I believe, 4GB total.

You're right. For some reason I thought I'd selected 1*2GB when ordering. =^)

I looked up the product number to find which specifications I should match and it looks like these (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134661) will be good. Right?

The swap should be around 1.5 Gigs with between 2-4 Gigs of RAM.

Make the swap larger and you will see RAM usage go down.

Add more RAM and you will see swap usage almost gone.

But 128mb swap is really too small. Enlarge it to at least one Gig.
And RAM, I would imagine, is preferable.

I'll enlarge it to 1G and see how it goes. And either leave it alone or resize as needed when the new RAM comes in.

Thanks!

thomasaaron
March 9th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Those cards will work fine.

For what it's worth, when we image computers, we make the swap equal to the installed RAM. Steveneddy is right that this *might* be a little overkill due to the increased speed of computers. Nevertheless, we find it to be the safest bet.

Trevor Bramble
March 9th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Cool. Maybe I'll go as far as 1.5 after all.

Thanks again, Thomas Aaron!