PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Creating a new user. Need to clone existing settings but not admin.

philinux
March 9th, 2009, 01:52 PM
New to this as before I've only had single user machines. How do I create a new user but with all the settings, i.e look and feel, I've got now except admin rights. I.e. a desktop user.

Activating the guest account gives a default desktop. New user is a newbie ex windows user so I dont want to have them fiddle to get it to look the same as I've tweeked my user.

gn2
March 9th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Something to try, don't know if it will work for you, but it has for me in the past:

System > Administration > Users and groups, set up your new user as a "Desktop" user.

Then: Alt+F2 and run gksudo nautilus
Then copy and paste the .hidden config files and folders in your /home to the new user's /home

(You might not want to copy across your e-mail application's .hidden folder)

3rdalbum
March 9th, 2009, 02:07 PM
It's easy. Copy all the hidden folders in your home directory into /etc/skel - the hidden folders contain your desktop settings. Now create the new user account. The contents of /etc/skel will be copied into the new user's home directory. Presto!

(EDIT: Don't copy any folders that contain personal information, such as keyrings, e-mail settings, Pidgin settings)

philinux
March 9th, 2009, 06:48 PM
/etc/skel thats a new one on me. Thanks i'll give it a go.

Ahh I see it contains the examples folder.

hyper_ch
March 9th, 2009, 11:01 PM
if you just want to set it up for one new user then I would not copy it to /etc/skel but just make a copy of your home folder and then chown it accordingly.

philinux
March 9th, 2009, 11:33 PM
if you just want to set it up for one new user then I would not copy it to /etc/skel but just make a copy of your home folder and then chown it accordingly.

I'd copy everything except the thunderbird folder I reckon
I suppose I'll have to watch the .dmrc file permissions if I do it this way.

cat2005
August 29th, 2009, 09:05 PM
It's easy. Copy all the hidden folders in your home directory into /etc/skel - the hidden folders contain your desktop settings. Now create the new user account. The contents of /etc/skel will be copied into the new user's home directory. Presto!

(EDIT: Don't copy any folders that contain personal information, such as keyrings, e-mail settings, Pidgin settings)

Bump.

I am in the same boat. Has anyone tried the above suggestion? How well did it work?

abjangam
August 29th, 2009, 11:02 PM
my system was good but I went in the system admin to add other users of my pc
and I make changes like
deleted home from group
change password
new user
delete user of my name

before it was ashwn@ashwin-laptop

but now it says I have no name@ashwin-laptop

after signout I cant access my PC

please help me

abjangam
August 29th, 2009, 11:05 PM
and I make changes like
deleted home from group
change password
new user
delete user of my name

please help me

abjangam
August 29th, 2009, 11:08 PM
and I make changes like
deleted home from group
change password
new user
delete user of my name

please help me

I can access now my account with the guest user which i add in last time when i went in users and groups and deleted my parental group ashwn

so how could i get my reall name user

please help me