PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu on ps3.havin trouble burnin iso file.please help.

ak_josh
March 9th, 2009, 11:40 AM
so im attempting to install ubuntu on my ps3. ive saved the iso file to my computer. ive burned the file to 10 dvds and every time i put the disc in the ps3 and select "install other os" a message saying "no applicable installer found". this is driving me crazy. im using windows vista and the file keeps saving and opening with roxio media creator. i dont know how to access the actual os. some body please help me.:(

3rdalbum
March 9th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Checklist:

1. Are you burning the ISO for the PowerPC processor? I think last time I checked there was a PS3-specific ISO; maybe not anymore, but you should be using the PPC ISO and not the regular i386 one.

2. Are you burning using the "burn image to disc" function of your software? Just dragging the file to a blank disc will not do the trick. "Extracting" the ISO and dragging the contents to a blank disc will also not work. And don't use the "Create bootable disc" function of your software; this does something completely different.

3. Try burning at a lower speed, and/or using CD-Rs rather than DVDs.

emshains
March 9th, 2009, 07:52 PM
First, get the CD image from here, take the ps3 one.
Please note that the server one will leave you with no gui at all, so take the alternative installer, and you can't have wpa wi-fi encryption while installing, that means, if you are using wpa, you will have to plug your ps3 via ethernet to the internet.
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/8.10/release/

After that, burn the image to the disk, don't just copy the image as a file, you should use Nero.

I am pretty sure that my ps3 reads cd's as well as DVD's and blurays, but if yours doesn't read CD's then stick with dvd's.

ak_josh
March 9th, 2009, 11:59 PM
how do i go about using the ppc instead of i386?