PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Opera shutting down on me for no reason - again and again

longtom
March 9th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Hi,

I am an Opera user from my Windows days and still love it on any platform.

However - in Ubuntu I find it shutting down every so often just like that for no reason.

Oh well - so I used Firefox - which appears to do the same.

So I start up from where I left and all is well - until the next time.

Anybody had that before? Anything I can do to better the situation?

Regards

longtom

rzrgenesys187
March 9th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Did you try running them through the terminal so you can see any error output. Also see if the firefox error console gives you any information

longtom
April 17th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Did you try running them through the terminal so you can see any error output. Also see if the firefox error console gives you any information

Here we go - it is just bugging too much, so let me come back to this thread:

opera
opera: X Shared memory extension is not available. ZPixmap not supported
OpenOffice path is '/usr/lib/openoffice'
OpenOffice path is '/usr/lib/openoffice'
Aborted
cango@cango-desktop:~$
(operapluginwrapper:16471): Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x4a0018d unexpectedly destroyed

(operapluginwrapper:16471): Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x4a0018c unexpectedly destroyed

(operapluginwrapper:16471): Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x4a0018b unexpectedly destroyed

(operapluginwrapper:16471): Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x4a0016e unexpectedly destroyed
The program 'operapluginwrapper' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
(Details: serial 3600 error_code 3 request_code 18 minor_code 0)
(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

This is what I get in the terminal, when opera shuts down. Also get the shutdowns in firefox and epiphany.

For reliable browsing I go to XP in openbox and browse in firefox...no that's not the idea, is it?

Any suggestions welcome.

Temposs
April 17th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Are you using the versions from the repositories or are you downloading them from the respective browsers' websites?

longtom
April 17th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Are you using the versions from the repositories or are you downloading them from the respective browsers' websites?

Firefox and epiphany were installed, opera I got from repositories.

ssdt
April 17th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Is it the new version of Ubuntu that you are using because there might be some problems with old versions. I think that is what happened in your case.

longtom
April 17th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Is it the new version of Ubuntu that you are using because there might be some problems with old versions. I think that is what happened in your case.

Using the same version that you are using - Intrepid 8.10.

superprash2003
April 17th, 2009, 05:04 PM
i face this problem too at times.. do you have a LOT of windows open?

hesjnet
April 17th, 2009, 05:06 PM
This has happened to me to. Not so much lately. It seems like it happens when I'm trying to view flash content(like youtube).

Npl
April 17th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Opera with flashplugin has many problems if I use Metacity-Compositing. Do you use this or the bugridden compiz? Then maybe try without.

ravi_buz
April 17th, 2009, 05:25 PM
i too have a similar problem with skype and stellarium and when i tried it in terminal i got this output

Fatal: Cannot mix incompatible Qt libraries
Aborted

longtom
April 18th, 2009, 07:07 AM
i face this problem too at times.. do you have a LOT of windows open?

Not really - 5 at most on one desktop...

cowboy7305
April 18th, 2009, 08:10 AM
My computer started to freeze and shut down on its own when i used google earth the other day
iam using 8.01

longtom
April 18th, 2009, 08:21 AM
My computer started to freeze and shut down on its own when i used google earth the other day
iam using 8.01

Please open a different thread for that - it doesn't appear to be related.

Thank you!

Flywaver
April 27th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Opera doesn't like multiple tabs opened and it will use up to 400mb RAM, to the point where I can't kill it or run anything else...it will just sit there, grayed out with the HD running constantly. I tried disabling the flash plugins but with no luck.

I opened Opera with the terminal and here are the messages when Opera starts to go berzerk!

(npviewer.bin:6132): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_get_origin: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(npviewer.bin:6132): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_get_origin: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

And if I do manage to force quit opera and go in system monitor, opera still appears as running and then I get these messages in the terminal:

*** NSPlugin Viewer *** ERROR: NPN_ReleaseObject() wait for reply: Message timeout
*** NSPlugin Viewer *** WARNING:(/build/buildd/nspluginwrapper-1.2.2/src/npw-viewer.c:862):invoke_NPN_GetValue: assertion failed: (rpc_method_invoke_possible(g_rpc_connection))
*** NSPlugin Viewer *** WARNING:(/build/buildd/nspluginwrapper-1.2.2/src/npw-viewer.c:862):invoke_NPN_GetValue: assertion failed: (rpc_method_invoke_possible(g_rpc_connection))
*** NSPlugin Viewer *** ERROR: NPN_GetProperty() wait for reply: Message timeout
*** NSPlugin Viewer *** ERROR: NPN_GetProperty() wait for reply: Message timeout
*** NSPlugin Viewer *** ERROR: NPN_Invoke() wait for reply: Message timeout
Killed

Any ideas??

Btw this is with Jaunty and I run Opera 10 Turbo Edition.