PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Do I need a swap space?

paulchinnz
March 9th, 2009, 05:09 AM
I've got 3GB RAM and in my previous Ubuntu installation I had a 650MB swap on the end of the Ubuntu partition.

Did I really need it?

mamamia88
March 9th, 2009, 05:16 AM
you might as well if you have a huge harddrive i dedicated 1gb to mine should be plenty

cariboo
March 9th, 2009, 05:19 AM
If you plan on using your computer for more than email and surfing the web, I would suggest twice the amount of ram for a swap partition.

Jim

WA_Garrett
March 9th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Not necessarily. Swap space used to be sort of important, but with the amount of ram you have, having swap space won't significantly increase performance.

If you still think you need swap space, you don't necessarily need to create a separate partition for it, you can always create a swap file, which will exist in the same partition as your Linux installation.

paulchinnz
March 9th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Yeah figured swap space can't be too important given I've had it disabled on my XP partition for some time. I mean it's meant to improve performance right if there's no swap space and the OS is forced to use RAM all the time (as long as there's plenty of RAM).

So basically with my next installation I can go to some Ubuntu setting and turn it off/delete it?

mkvnmtr
March 9th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Even though I have never used even close to all my ram I have still seen 15 or 20Mb usage on my swap space. If I had your ram I would not think I would need it but I would still put maybe 50mb on my swap partition. I have seen my system complain when the swap space was not activated.

hardyn
March 9th, 2009, 06:23 AM
you need it to hibernate.

talsemgeest
March 9th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I've got 3GB RAM and in my previous Ubuntu installation I had a 650MB swap on the end of the Ubuntu partition.

Did I really need it?
With that much RAM, and only doing normal computing tasks such as internet and email, you should technically not need swap space. However, if one day you use up all your RAM, your pc will probably crash. It would be like going skydiving without a backup chute. You will probably not need it, but if you do...