PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Executing a command with a custom gnome terminal launcher

Vunutus
March 9th, 2009, 04:42 AM
I'm trying to set up a custom launcher for use with TinTin++ (MUD client for those who are unfamiliar). I want the launcher to start gnome-terminal, hide the menubar, set the terminal profile (to make the colors suitable for MUDs), and of course launch tt++.

The command section of my launcher looks like this:

gnome-terminal --hide-menubar --window-with-profile=tintin --command=tt++

The first two options work correctly, but it fails to launch tt++. When the window comes up, it just hangs there with a blinking cursor and no shell prompt.

What am I doing wrong?

---EDIT---

I did some poking around and I think I found the problem, although I don't know the solution. Whenever I bring up the tintin launcher and let it hang there, if I open up another terminal and run "ps aux | grep tt++" it shows tt++ as running, yet I cannot interact with it. This means that it is indeed being launched but apparently the terminal is not getting control over it. Does anyone know why?

unutbu
March 9th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Try this:

gnome-terminal --hide-menubar --window-with-profile=tintin -x bash -c "tt++"

Vunutus
March 9th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Try this:

gnome-terminal --hide-menubar --window-with-profile=tintin -x bash -c "tt++"

That ends up doing the same thing mine does. Both of these lines are correct according to the gnome-terminal man page.

It works fine if I omit the part about starting tintin, but then I have to type tt++ every time. This is the 21st century, that isn't acceptable :D

I did some poking around and I think I found the problem, although I don't know the solution. Whenever I bring up the tintin launcher and let it hang there, if I open up another terminal and run "ps aux | grep tt++" it shows tt++ as running, yet I cannot interact with it. This means that it is indeed being launched but apparently the terminal is not getting control over it. Does anyone know why?

Vunutus
March 10th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Bump

RomeReactor
March 11th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Hi. Try it like this:

gnome-terminal --hide-menubar --window-with-profile=tintin -e tt++