PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardware for home server?

kwn
March 9th, 2009, 03:32 AM
In am very happily using a Dell Mini with Ubuntu as my travelling computer. At home I run a Mac Mini running OS X and a ReadyNAS drive. Also on the network are two other Macs.
I would like to get or build a machine to run Ubuntu server - initially for music, photos and files.
Preferably SFF.
Any suggestions on basic hardware?

ibuclaw
March 9th, 2009, 03:45 AM
That would depend on how many computers you expect to be connected at once, and whether or not the Server will be accessible from outside your Home Network.

For my Internal Server, I use a light spec machine:

AMiTrends System Board
2.0GHz Athlon XP CPU (Single Core)
2GB DDR2 RAM
500GB Hard Drive
Atheros Wireless PCI Card

Though, considering I got it around 5 years ago, probably shows off its age from time to time. And considering how cheap hardware has become since, you could probably meet the spec I have, then throw in a quad-core CPU and at least 1GB extra RAM...

But all in all. The network is going to be your main bottleneck if you plan to use it for a fileserver, so it doesn't really matter how high-end the server is. If the network bandwidth is crud, the network is crud :)

On the other hand, as the number of connected computers actively using the server approaches around 30-40+ computers, then you will have to start thinking about improving specs.

Regards
Iain

LowSky
March 9th, 2009, 04:32 AM
any basic computer with a ton of storage and RAM can be a network server. Processing isn't really important unless you want it for streaming, then anything over 2Ghz (single core) will be good. So go buy a cheap PC orbuild yor own, but make sure its got at leat 2GB or RAM and a huge hard drive for storage

kwn
March 9th, 2009, 09:12 AM
thanks, folks. I'm thinking of assembling a Shuttle. So processor power is not critical and 2G RAM should be plenty.
I do want to be able to get to it remotely and am just starting to investigate that. It seems to be a software, not a hardware, issue.