PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless network card doesn't work. Ubuntu 7.1. OLD laptop. Any advice?

Clay8317
March 9th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I know that everyone starts by saying "I'm a TOTAL NOOB!", but if the show fits...
I'm using an OLD laptop- And old IBM Thinkpad with 10 gig Hard drive, 128 MB RAM and a Pentium II processor (300 MHz) (you have my permission to laugh.) Yesterday I installed Ubuntu 7.1. (I couldn't get the most recent version to install.) It works and the machine runs as well as can be expected.

Problem: My only link to the internet is a Dynex 802.11g Enhanced Wireless G Notebook Card #P11827

But sinse installing Ubuntu, the card isn't doing anything.

I've tried to follow the trouble shooting guide in the help screen. It say to open device manager(System> Administration> Device Manager)

I go to System> Administration> And there is no Device manager.

I check to see if the device is on (Application> Accessories> Terminal) Then I typed "sudo lshw -C network"

It said "*-network DISABLED" then followed with lots of specs on the device.

I assume that since it says "disabled" then the device is off, but the trouble shooting guide does not say how to turn the device on. What am I missing here?
Please help. Thank you in advance!](*,)

yeats
March 9th, 2009, 01:12 AM
My first thought is that you'll want to be using a supported edition of Ubuntu (7.10 is about to stop being supported). Do you have regular Ethernet access? Updating to Hardy Heron 8.04 LTS would be a snap. I'm just thinking you probably wouldn't want to go to a lot of trouble just to have to do it all over again :-).

If you will, though, go ahead and open a terminal window and type:

lspci -v

which lists all of your computer hardware in verbose (-v) form.

Clay8317
March 9th, 2009, 02:39 AM
My plan is to upgrade as soon as I can get on the internet. Unfortunately, I don't have wired network port. (It has a PHONE JACK!)

As for the terminal window thing- Here we go:

06:00.0 Network controler: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11 g Wireless LAN controller (rev 02)
Subsystem: Belkin Unknown device 7d1a
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
Memory at 1c000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]

yeats
March 9th, 2009, 03:27 AM
There are several Broadcom wireless postings where people give/receive advice about how to get it working. Just search "broadcom" (or use Google with "broadcom ubuntu").

Good luck.

Clay8317
March 9th, 2009, 04:28 AM
I'll try that. Thanks!