PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Moving a folder into WWW (chown)

Lakeside5
March 8th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I've been away from the computer for over a month- and have forgotten so much of what I've learned of linux. I am trying to copy and paste a folder into var/www from the desktop (a folder with the Joomla CMS). I tried (in the var directory) 'chown b***dy /www (so I could have ownership of www thus having permission to paste into it) but it says that is not permitted. I think I was successful in changing the ownership of var (chown b***dy /var) but how do I move a folder into /var/www? Thanks in advance.

taurus
March 8th, 2009, 11:49 PM
You need root privilege if you want to write to somewhere outside your $HOME. If you need to move something to /var/www, open a terminal and run nautilus with root privilege.

gksudo nautilus
or

sudo mv filename /var/www

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Lakeside5
March 9th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Thanks, I have tried that and just tried it again but must be doing something wrong. I don't really use the command that lets me be root, I usually use sud, os I typed (in the Desktop dir. where Joomla folder is) sudo mv /Joomla /var/www and it says mv: cannot stat `/Joomla': No such file or directory. I get the same result for sudo mv /Desktop/ Joomla /var/www when I am at the root directory

taurus
March 9th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks, I have tried that and just tried it again but must be doing something wrong. I don't really use the command that lets me be root, I usually use sud, os I typed (in the Desktop dir. where Joomla folder is) sudo mv /Joomla /var/www and it says mv: cannot stat `/Joomla': No such file or directory. I get the same result for sudo mv /Desktop/ Joomla /var/www when I am at the root directory

If Joomla is on your desktop, then it should look like this.

sudo mv ~/Desktop/Joomla /var/www

Lakeside5
March 9th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Must have finally 'chowned' www properly, seems I can cut and paste into www, even create a Joomla folder there, just don't have the hang of moving folders in the terminal I guess, keeps saying that the Joomla folder doesn't exist, hmm thanks agian