PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Playing .wmv files in mplayer.

melrokz
March 8th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Hi. My .wmv files, when opened in mplayer, it gives an error
mplayer could not load wmvdmod.dll
I found the file in my windows installation, but where to copy this to so that mplayer can use it???

hammad1337
March 8th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I think ubuntu should not give dll errors, as it foes not use .dlls ( though m not 100% sure).

Wine uses dll files. and these can be placed in ~/.wine/c_drive/windows/system32/ directory.

mrbiggbrain
March 8th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I think ubuntu should not give dll errors, as it foes not use .dlls ( though m not 100% sure).

Wine uses dll files. and these can be placed in ~/.wine/c_drive/windows/system32/ directory.

This is not totaly true, linux can use any file it chooses, it could have a .dll file as the exectable and .exe file as the library if it really wanted. but by all means, .dll isnt a really common ubuntu filename

hammad1337
March 8th, 2009, 06:33 PM
:D
I totally get you man, but your post might be a bit confusing for melrokz.

mc4man
March 8th, 2009, 07:04 PM
If your using the i386 intrepid (32 bit) then just go here and install w32codecs.

http://packages.medibuntu.org/intrepid/w32codecs.html

hyper_ch
March 8th, 2009, 07:20 PM
you can use my generator in the sig to add the medibuntu repos (you get access to skype and googleearth and other stuff) and then install w32codecs or w64codecs depending on your system.

kaixi
March 8th, 2009, 09:35 PM
What about installing ubuntu-restricted-extras package and then play the video from Totem?