PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need To Use Live Disk Permenantly

Masamune12003
March 8th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Hey guys!
Didn't get to search this because I would have NO idea what to look for.
So my apologies if this has already been answered.
I've got an IBook G4 with a knackered Hard Drive.
I downloaded Ubuntu 5.4 I think, not quite sure, I remember reading something about Hoary...whatever that means.
So I downloaded Ubuntu and stuck it on a disk, after much hair tugging I managed to get a working Live CD and popped it into my Ibook.
It worked.
Sufice it to say I was shocked (nothing EVER works first time!).
Now I've got it online through ethernet though that was a bit of a struggle and I'm looking to get some programs downloaded for it.
This is where the problem's arise, I assume this would usually be the point that someone decided to install Ubuntu full time, I can't do that given the defunkt Hard Drive, I do have a little removable media (Ipod for example) but what I was thinking of doing was connecting the Ibook to my Emac and having a seperate folder to keep all my files in and stuff.
Is this plausible?
What do I have to do to make it work?
Help! ;o;

Any help given will be greatly appreciated :D

JOe

hyper_ch
March 8th, 2009, 06:49 PM
(1) 5.04 is really, really old... you should get a current release (8.10).

(2) you could install the base system onto a USB stick for example and then network the emac to safe all your stuff to. That would work. But wouldn't it be much simpler to replace that broken harddisk?

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 8th, 2009, 07:09 PM
If you can get 8.10 downloaded, and run it, it will let you create a UBS startup disk on a USB stick. Get the largest USB stick you can afford. Then you can save settings and files just like you are running from a hard drive. I've done that while waiting for a replacement disk to arrive in the mail.

The USB stick is now my Ubuntu demo disk that I can pop into a computer whenever I want to show someone a customized Ubuntu installation.

tracerbullet
March 8th, 2009, 07:19 PM
If you are happy with the way the live CD looks and feels (for now anyway) you can use it as an operating system, and simply plug in your iPod whenever you want to save a file.

iPods make great substitutes for USB flash drives, and you can still use it as a normal mp3 player even though you have some documents on it!

As for the version, are you sure it was not 8.04 - Hardy Heron ?

Masamune12003
March 8th, 2009, 08:07 PM
No it's definatly 5.04 lol
I want 8.10 but I only have 660mb disks, Unfortunately tonight is the last chance I will have to do this for a while so i'm going to have to stick with 5.04 -.-

presence1960
March 8th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I want 8.10 but I only have 660mb disks, Unfortunately tonight is the last chance I will have to do this for a while so i'm going to have to stick with 5.04 -.-

Not meaning to be smart, but replace your hard drive. Life will be a lot easier for your machine and for you.

mkvnmtr
March 9th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Don't fool with trying to use a ubs stick it will be too slow. The guys that recomend that haven't used a Mac. Athey have really slow data transfer by ubs. Think about putting Ubuntu on a firewire drive. Your G4 should boot and use that just like a hard drive. But really I have taken my G4 Ibook apart and it is not that hard to install a hard drive. If it is a money thing look for a used one.

t0p
March 9th, 2009, 01:01 AM

That number, 5.04, means that Hoary was released on April 2005. Software for Hoary is all out of date, and some will be insecure. You really ought to try and use a more recent release. A hard drive would be nice too.

Masamune12003
March 9th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Wouldn't it just.
I have absoloutley NO money, and it's not even my laptop, it's my mothers from work but she will never do anything with it.
I've orded 8.10 on CD and I will look into getting a firewire drive.
Thanks for the advice!

MrWES
March 9th, 2009, 01:38 PM
You should consider running PuppyLinux; which will run entirely in memory and you don't need a hard drive.

http://www.puppylinux.org/

Bill

anaconda
March 9th, 2009, 01:51 PM
puppy linux is also pretty cool..

It is designed to be used from a CD (also) and it has cool features for this in mind.

for example. If you put puppy to a CD-R you can later save changes to that same CD. eg. make your own settings, install some needed programs eg, and the next time you boot they will still be there!

ANd anothe cool feature is that puppy is small and light, and you can load the wole os to RAM when you boot the machine.. Running an os from ram makes it incredible fast.... try it.

3rdalbum
March 9th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Note to people replying to this topic: Do NOT reply unless you have used Linux on a PowerPC Macintosh.

Puppy Linux does not run on PowerPC.

The iBook G4 cannot boot from USB.

Let's not give the original poster any false leads.

MrWES
March 9th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Note to people replying to this topic: Do NOT reply unless you have used Linux on a PowerPC Macintosh.

Correct. I didn't realize that --sorry for the misinformation.

Bill

mkvnmtr
March 9th, 2009, 03:01 PM
OK 8.10 will run well on your PPC mac. When you get a disk start a threadinn the mac forum because you will need a little help to boot the disk the first time. Nothing hard you just need to type in one command.

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 9th, 2009, 11:18 PM
OK 8.10 will run well on your PPC mac.

To the OP,

be sure to get the Alternate PowerPC iso.

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 9th, 2009, 11:39 PM

I was running Ubuntu on my G4 PPC. I forgot the computer was so old it wouldn't boot from a USB. I had a 45GB firewire drive attached to it. I gave it away yesterday at an "Electronics Recycling Day"; because, I couldn't find anyone that wanted it. If I had seen this thread, a few hours earlier before I recycled it, I would have shipped the OP the disks.

Sorry, what a difference a few hours can make.