PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Boot problems

bitrocker
March 8th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Hi,

I am running a dual boot system with Kubuntu (8.10) and WinXP. Kubuntu is installed inside Windows. Everything was fine, till i run some calculations over night. When I wanted to continue in the morning, my system didn`t respond (guess the programm still run). I choosed the rough (and wrong way) to shutdown my laptop manually (pressing the power button).

Now, when I boot, I see the login screen. When I enter my password, the screen flashs (as if the system wants to start) but then the login box appears again.

I can login via console, but when I say

startkde
I get an error message... something about the DISPLAY...

Anyone knows what I can do?

didac
March 8th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Can you post the text of the error message? It will help

kansasnoob
March 8th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Since you say:

Kubuntu is installed inside Windows. Everything was fine, till i run some calculations over night. When I wanted to continue in the morning, my system didn`t respond (guess the programm still run). I choosed the rough (and wrong way) to shutdown my laptop manually (pressing the power button).

The "installed inside Windows" bit makes me think Wubi! And this part, "pressing the power button", really worries me because of this:

Any gotcha?

Hibernation is not supported under Wubi, moreover Wubi filesystem is more vulnerable to hard-reboots (turning off the power) and power outages than a normal filesystem, so try to avoid unplugging the power. An Ubuntu installation to a dedicated partition provides a filesystem that is more robust and can better tolerate such events.

http://wubi.sourceforge.net/faq.php

That was my main reason for running away from Wubi!

I've found an actual dual-boot to be much more preferable:

http://apcmag.com/the_definitive_dualbooting_guide_linux_vista_and_x p_stepbystep.htm

bitrocker
March 9th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Hello,

kansasnoob, what you say doesn`t sound too good :( Well, the error message when I say
startkde from the console is

$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to the X server.

Maybe this helps?

didac
March 9th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Try startx instead.

Post as an attachment the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log

or read it yourself to see what you discover. The problem will be at the end, maybe.

bitrocker
March 11th, 2009, 12:54 PM
startx causes some messages, wich didn`t really help me(was a bit much to post it).

I wanted to copy /var/log/Xorg.0.log to a hd wich I can access out of Windows. Usually my primary hd is mounted under /media, but when I log in via console, it is not there. So I didn`t find a way to access the file. What can I do?

bitrocker
May 2nd, 2009, 10:46 AM
Till now I couldn`t find a way to access /var/log/Xorg.0.log. I tryed to install an editor, that I can use from the console, but saying

sudo apt-get install joe

didn`t work. So any suggestions, how I can have a look at the Xserver log file. Or any other ideas, how to fix my system?

Hope someone knows what to do - dont`want to reinstall...