PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Thunderbird + Yahoo?

card_ace
March 8th, 2009, 07:15 AM
as far as i know, the email program Thunderbird is a linux program. i downloaded a portable version to install to my USB drive so i could play with it more. could someone help me configure Thunderbird to retrieve my Yahoo email?

dzark
March 8th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Thunderbird comes in many flavours, Win, Mac and linux.. The "portable" is a windows app.. while you can run it through WINE, there are other ways to make email portable...

I have a portable copy on my usb, but also one installed on each of my desktops/laptops so i dont always have to carry that thing around!.. However, the thunderbird profile/config settings are the same accross all platforms.. You could install TB on your main machine, using IMAP your mail will be sync'd across all of them..

For big changes, i drag my whole profile across (it lives in my home directory under .mozilla-thunderbird) into the profile bit of the TBPortable

install instructions here

http://ubuntuswitch.blogspot.com/2007/09/ubuntu-how-to-get-yahoohotmail-emails.html

lemme know when you got it up and i'll give you a hand with the rest...

card_ace
March 8th, 2009, 07:33 AM
i got thunderbird from PortableApps.com (very handy site for anybody on a windows computer) and i seem to be stuck on windows machines with dial up fairly often. i was hoping i could configure my portable thunderbird so that it would get my yahoo mail for me instead of having to go to the site. it gives me a choice between POP and IMAP server types, then it says i need the name of the incoming and outgoing server. would that simply be mail.yahoo.com or am i missing something?

dzark
March 8th, 2009, 07:37 AM
have a look at his guide.,..

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/internet/firefox/get-your-yahoo-mail-in-mozilla-thunderbird-for-free/

card_ace
March 9th, 2009, 02:12 PM
i can't get the first tutorial to work and on the second one it says i could lose my account. this one is linked to all my stuff so i don't wanna risk that. if theres a safe method where this potentially can't happen then i'll rethink it, but unless there are other suggestions i'm gonna have to back out on this idea. thanks for the replies.

mkvnmtr
March 9th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I could never get Thunderbird to work with Yahoo by itself. There is an add on called WebMail that will get Yahoo mail. You might try that. Work well for me the first few weeks but then began getting what it called bad vibes. I have not been to interested in fixing it since it gave me time to switch to gmail which works great.

card_ace
March 9th, 2009, 03:01 PM
i was getting the bad vibes error and some connection errors after getting the webmail add-on.

mkvnmtr
March 9th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I guess I should try to fix mine Just haven't had time. I think I saw a thread or two on this bad vibes problem some time ago. Do a google for Thunderbird bad vibes. It looks like today won't be a day I have time to work on it.

card_ace
March 9th, 2009, 03:30 PM
no rush. just experimenting with some ideas to make things easier. dial up and windows vista aren't a good combo at all. and unfortunately, i'm not allowed to play with that computer. other people in the house get upset with me. if i don't touch the computer and something goes wrong i get blamed for it anyway :) go figure.