PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] WTF, FIREFOX?!?! YouTube won't work and browser occasionally goes grey.

Murderuption
March 8th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Alright, I be lovin' Ubuntu thus far. It's sleek, fast, and way easier to use than Windows. It's the anarchist's OS!

Except for one thing.

Firefox has been blowing some major *** on me. YouTube won't work at all. Whenever I try and load a video, the screen goes grey and I have to force quit. This occurs every time. In addition, the browser tends to go grey on occasion and I have to force quit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, my brothers (or sisters)!

Thanks.

st33med
March 8th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Do you by any chance use the 64 bit Ubuntu? Have you downloaded the nonfree flash codec?

Also, I wouldn't blame it on Firefox because Flash is plain bloated and lame, but we all have to use it to watch YouTube and such, eh?;)

Murderuption
March 8th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I'm running x86, not 64. I've got the codec too.

sports fan Matt
March 8th, 2009, 06:14 AM
What version of FF? Some people have reported the latest version as broken

Murderuption
March 8th, 2009, 06:29 AM
I'm running 3.0.7

sports fan Matt
March 8th, 2009, 06:31 AM
That version by alot of people has reported bugs and hiccups..

Murderuption
March 8th, 2009, 06:35 AM
What are my alternatives?

metallicamike
March 8th, 2009, 06:36 AM
do you have all of the gstreamer plugins from add/remove?

metallicamike
March 8th, 2009, 06:37 AM
What are my alternatives?

epiphany or opera would work. but i don't use them so im not entirely sure

Murderuption
March 8th, 2009, 06:40 AM
do you have all of the gstreamer plugins from add/remove?

Say what? :confused:

metallicamike
March 8th, 2009, 06:46 AM
:lolflag: go to applications->add/remove programs and seach gstreamer and hit the checkboxes on anything that says gstreamer plugin in it, and check ubuntu restricted extras.
P.S. Grats me on my 200th post!!!!!!\\:D/

IsmailBhai
March 8th, 2009, 07:11 AM
use opera. its nice.

Bearly Able
March 8th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Uninstalling the mozilla-plugin-gnash worked for me, but I'm using 8.04. Still, it might be worth a try.

fly2thesun
March 16th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I was having similar problems. Thanks to the suggestions in this thread, I was able to make it work. ( Firefox 3.0.3, Ubuntu 8.10 on Pentium3 )
I installed flashplugin-nonfree and removed mozilla-plugin-gnash.
But that was not enough.
It finally worked when I removed swfdec-mozilla.

At least in my case, both mozilla-plugin-gnash and swfdec-mozilla were crap. Mozilla-plugin-gnash was waiting forever to start playing. swfdec-mozilla stalled the whole browser. Only flashplugin-nonfree worked, and I had to remove the other two in order to force firefox to use flashplugin-nonfree.

Bryantos
March 16th, 2009, 01:58 AM
As far as the browser going grey when not on Youtube, try clearing your private data. ctrl+shft+delete is the shortcut, or you can also do it through Tools -> Clear Private Data

If you do not want to lose all of the pages you have looked at (Thereby not allowing you to use the back button to view previous pages and/or check your history), then uncheck the browsing history box.

If you are logged in to a site and do not want to have to re-login, then uncheck the cookies box.

You will easily see a notable increase in browsing speed after you clear the private data.

Hope that helps!

Robert505189
March 16th, 2009, 02:23 AM
I have tried opera don't care for it firefox works fine I had a similar problems inculing a stupid play icon in place of just playing the flash which drove me nut but once you get all your plugins there should be no probs with fire fox